Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forced VBAC in the public hospital?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Forced VBAC in the public hospital?

I would like to know if anyone who previously had a cesarian, and delivered their second baby in a public hospital, was forced to undergo a trial of labour for the second.
    I told a doctor the other day at my MCHC appointment that I did not want to try for a VBAC. She basically said I had no choice as it was Princess Margaret Hospital policy to make everyone undergo a trial of labour first. I said that surely they could not FORCE me. She replied that they just wouldn't prepare an operating theatre, surgeon, anesthesiologist, etc for me. She said that they tended to tell the patient that if they want a cesarian, they should go to a private hospital.
    My friend's friend is a midwife at Queen Elizabeth and she said they often planned cesarians. I was also told at Prince of Wales that they often ordered a repeat cesarian if the patient previously had one.
    I'm really upset with this one-size-fits-all policy that I was told PMH has.
    Can they do that, really? How can someone be forced to have a VBAC?

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Aren't doctors in HK are overly-cautious and would generally not push for a VBAC. Maybe they have a high success rate there? But given the customer/medical service of PMH, I'm not surprised at what to me is a rude answer!

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

Actually, I don't think the doctor was being rude, at least I didn't feel anything, but she was being brutally honest. I have heard that doctors are cautious about VBACs but haven't heard anything concrete(like policy), like anyone's personal experience. I just canny allow myself to be forced into something like that. My 36 week consultation is not for another 3.5 weeks, and if I can somehow transfer to another hospital, I want to get my facts straight before that. I have no idea how to go about doing it though:(

kaikosmom is offline Registered User

Hi, Merry Christmas! Well, I gave birth at United Christian Hospital (public hospital) and I was given a choice to try for a VBAC or a second c/s. I opted for a second c/s. The consultation happened about 2-4 weeks before my due date. I thought all government hospitals have the same policy, guess I was wrong.

AmyH is offline Registered User

I was at Prince of Wales hospital. Durng my 36 week vist they ofered to schedule me a c-section and I advised of my wish for VBAC but when I went in to be induced they did offer me a c-section again. I declned, but ended up with one anyway!
    I did not want to deliver at Tuen Mun hospital so I asked my OB to write me a referral letter fo PWH and they accepted that with no questions asked so that might be an otion for you if you have been attending any private OBs and want to change hospitals.
    Good luck.

Wow, so all the hospitals except for PMH don't force vbacs? I can't believe that. I will have to call them directly, and hopefully be able to speak with some kind of senior doctor, if that can happen...

canadamommy is offline Registered User

I had my second baby at Queen Mary. My first was born in Canada and was a horrific emergency c section. I knew that I definitely wanted a c section for the second, but every time I brought it up at my prenatal appointments they said they would not even discuss it until my 36 week check up. I got all stressed about it, but in the end I had a really quick meeting with a doctor at the 36 week appointment who barely talked to me. He asked what I wanted and I had all the reasons prepared and a letter from my Canadian OB recommending another c section, but I didn't get to say a thing. As soon as I said I wanted another c section, he got out a calendar and asked what day would be good. And it turned out it was a very good thing I had requested the repeat c section since my daughter was breech and no one had detected this until the day before the c section. But that's another thread...

So, I called the hospital directly and left a message on their hotline. Within a few hours a nurse called me back and I told her my gripes, and what the doctor at the MCHC had told me. She spoke to a doctor there, called me back, as well as another nurse. Both assured me(one quite vehemently) that No one is forced to do something they don't want to do, and that at my 36 week appointment, I would be presented with some options, but I was able to choose myself. I feel sooooo much better now. I just couldn't believe what that doctor had told me, it sounded too absurd to be forced. I imagine my 36 week consultation might go a little bit like canadamommy described above, I hope:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast