Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Sucking me to sleep

Sazzy is offline Registered User

Sucking me to sleep

Hi
    My baby was ill and we are now in a position where she needs to suck me in order to fall asleep. How do I teach her to sleep without me? How do I break this habit?

Thanks

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Does she take a pacifier? Can you do a quick switch when she's getting drowsy?

What about if you try rousing her a bit after she's finished eating so she's semi-awake and then just holding her?

I think part of it could be the age as well - Maddy is going through that stage at the moment where she resists going to sleep, then she gets overtired, and I have to feed her to help her sleep rather than because she's hungry. I always know she's not really hungry because she doesn't drink that much - but it's the only thing that will settle her and get her to sleep (I try everything else first!)... I'm trying to break that too but still experimenting. My main source of comfort for moments like that is "this too shall pass"! It's just a phase... and next month it will probably be something else ;)

geomum is offline Registered User

Just curious, why is it bad that she "sucks you to sleep?" AND how is a pacifier better than a boob?

Lali07 is offline Registered User

I think this is totally normal baby behavior, what babies have probably been doing since time began, and probably what most babies throughout the world still do. Self-settling is a very new concept, especially the controlled-crying/CIO methods. I like to feed my baby to sleep, mainly because its easier and generally fuss-free :) I drove myself a little crazy getting hung up on my baby's sleep, so now he just sleeps in my bed, feeds to sleep, and I don't even look at the time any more! Its less anxious, and I'm more rested. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, every Mum is different and has to do what works for her and her baby! :)

BLWC is offline Registered User

Hi Sazzy, I had the same problem with my son for a long time. Some mums don't mind but it can be tiring, especially if your baby already feeds for hours on end like mine did. I agree with nicolejoy, if it's really a problem, try using a pacifier or your little finger even. We eventually got our son out of this habit with a pacifier, now we just need to wean him off that! Good luck.

http://typhoonsandtantrums.blogspot.com

solidstars is offline Registered User

my son sucked to sleep too and now at 21 months he's got teeth problems... -_-" beware!