Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Maternity insurance for IVF pregnancy

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Maternity insurance for IVF pregnancy

Does anyone know of any insurance companies that offer maternity coverage for pregnancies resulting from IVF/infertility treatment? All of the companies I have looked at exclude this. Thanks.

alfa is offline Registered User

Bupa International covered mine. It shouldn't matter anyway - a pregnancy is a pregnancy - most insurances dont cover the actual treatment but if we are talking just about normal prenatal care/ birth it should be ok? You can always not tell them about the ivf I suppose?:)

Portia is offline Registered User

I think most insurance companies don't care if it is a singleton. My singleton pregnancies were covered by Allianz and Healthcare Intl, but there was a question on the form asking if multiples were the result of fertility treatment.

Liquorice is offline Registered User

Portia, it was Healthcare International who told me over the phone yesterday that they won't insure IVF pregnancies. I'm guessing that you didn't ask them when you were insured and that they don't ask specifically on their form, therefore best just not to mention it as Alfa suggests...?

Portia is offline Registered User

I certainly wouldn't tell them as singleton pregnancies are pretty much all the same whether conceived by IVF or not. It was not on the claim form when I submitted it in March this year. However, if you had confirmed that you had a multiple pregnancy, you were asked if it was from fertility treatment.

What you actually need is to see the policy wording itself. If I can find my policy, I will look it up for you because sometimes the people that you speak to may not actually be right. Like they might cover single pregnancies, but not multiples. If you just say nothing, there would still be a risk if they changed their form to ask about singleton pregnancies from IVF that they wouldn't pay out. The question about multiples is on the form that the doctor has to sign for you to make a claim.