Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

6 wks baby does NOT sleep!!! HELPPPPPP!!!

augustbump is offline Registered User

6 wks baby does NOT sleep!!! HELPPPPPP!!!

my 6 weeks old does not sleep or nap at all during the day time UNLESS she is carried in the arms or in a sarong sling..we have tried strolling her to sleep, put her on the rocker the curtains in her room are block out,soft music is on, we have several of those music tools with heart beat, sound of rain etc on for her.. does not work..

we have checked that she is fed, changed, temperature is right etc etc...

my question is should I let her cry it out at this age? Isnt it a bit too young to start this route?

my husband reckon she is spoiled.. i dont understand how she can be spoiled?? she is born this way in my opinion!! ( By the way - this is our second child.. our first one has no sleep problem at all) So.. he wants her to cry it out loud.

Did i mention she is a screamer? When she cries.. her face turns blue, and she does scream till she looses her voice and starts coughing.

i am at my wits end.. bc i am constanly having to hold her to sleep..the moment we thot she is asleep and put her in the cot.. she knows and bolts up!

we have tried co -sleeping but it does not work either..

so should I or should i not let her CIO? what should i or should not do?

i am too tired to think straight...thanks for all the advice and tips..

alfa is offline Registered User
    Maybe it's reflux or colic? Mine had reflux and was a screamer until we realised it was stomach related. Maybe worth talking to the paed? Do you find she cries miore after feeding, when put flat on her back? We raised the cot and also you can try infacol - its pretty harmless and helps wind etc - you can get it from B2B.
    Also if you are bfeeding try eliminating milk from your diet - the constant screaming could be alos a sign of lactose intolerance.
    Hope this helps and good luck:)

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Have you tried warming up her cot before you put her there? She might have waken because she was warm and comfortable on you arms, and then suddently place on a cold cot. Also you may want to place her on the cot when she is in a deep sleep.
    Posted via Mobile Device

elle is offline Registered User
    have you tried a consult with a sleep consultant like those at Annerley Midwives? I've had friends whose children had sleeping problems and a sleep consultant was able to pintpoint the issue within an hour or two.

oi0io is offline Registered User
    I think 6 weeks is too early to cry it out. You can't spoil a newborn by holding them for long periods. All they want is be loved and held at this stage. Your baby was living in your womb for a whooping 9 months. All of a sudden, your baby is out in a completely new environment so it's a shock to her. If you can recreate the womb feeling, maybe she can sleep better? Perhaps swaddle her tight, warm up the crib, play some white noise in the background

If I am not mistaken, if your baby can not be comforted and just cries and screams for long periods, then that is colic. But if a simple cuddle can fix the problem, then I don't think it's defined as colic. If you want to rule out colic, do try to give your baby some infacol or gripe water and see if it makes a difference.

Hang in there...things should get better around the 8th week.

pixelelf is offline Registered User
    My first born was like that, brought him to the ped and yes it was colic. Prescribed rid wind and we carried him in a sling. Worked for us.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Have you tried a pacifier for the crying? My son is 6 weeks and we have used one since 3 weeks - made a huge difference. He used to get himself into a real, inconsolable, state with crying, but the dummy helps calm him. Also, he has a lot of colic (despite being breastfed) and sucking on a dummy really helps him with that discomfort too.

I feel for you though. I know how it feels to rock your baby to sleep, full of hope when you put them down as they seem completely asleep, only for their eyes to pop wide open as soon as you put them down. Makes you want to burst into tears sometimes.

newmother is offline Registered User
    I know what you mean by not thinking straight, you should definitely talk to somebody who has gone through the same thing. Matilda also has some classes for new moms once a week, if you want an alternative for a sleep clinic.

I really don't think a baby can be spoiled. Most books say that you can't even attempt any disciplinary actions until they are 18 months old. A 6 week old baby is just trying to have her needs met. She is not trying to manipulate you or your husband, their memory is supposedly very short. Even if you CIO, she won't remember the "lesson" for the next sleep cycle.

If she sleeps in a sling, then you found at least one way she is sleeping. Although, I know then you cannot take a break, but hopefully, it's just a phase that will pass soon.

But if you decide to do CIO, please do more research on it beforehand. There is also a book called The No-Cry Sleep Solution that can give you a few ideas.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast