Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Prince of Wales hospital

Cherina is offline Registered User

Prince of Wales hospital

Hi,
    Anyone got any recent experience of giving birth at the POW hospital in Shatin? Is it possible to visit the maternity department? I can't find very much information on their website.

I'm currently on the waiting list for Matilda but want to have a back up plan in case I don't get in.

Thanks

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Hi Cherina, I gave birth at the POW 5 weeks ago. Medical necessity cesarean. I had written up a review of it on the following link - Birth Experience Public and Private

Overall, the quality of the medical care is fine, just the communication, bedside manner and after care that was very poor in my experience. I will go private next time, however, I think if you are having a natural delivery then it is probably easier. I have several friends who gave birth at the POW and they didn't mind it so much, but they were natural births.

I am not sure whether you can visit the maternity department. I imagine you would be able to visit one of the wards - forget what it is called but it is the 'reception' ward where you go to register, change and wait to be called down for a cesarean. Not sure how it is used for natural. Not sure whether they would allow you onto the delivery ward or the post-natal ward, but they might.

When are you due? Congratulations anyway...

Cherina is offline Registered User
    Hi Liquorice,
    Thanks for the answer, i'll bear in mind your comments. I'm sure care wise it's not too much different to what I'd get back home in the UK. I'll give them a call and see if I can go and visit.
    Baby isn't due until July so I've got lots of time to sort it out.

Mabella is offline Registered User
    Cherina,
    Dont worry about POW hospital, you will be in great hands. I was once registered at St TEresa's (private)and put down HK$6000 no refundable deposit. I ended up at POW after weighing up all the costs and benefits. The major turning point for me was that i heard and know for a fact that most private hosiptals do not allow for the baby to be next to you at all times, I felt that this was not good especially if i wanted to breast feed on demand. Having the baby next to me made me feel much for secure.

During my consultations with a few doctors outside, they all had admitted that POW was a v. good choice.

Do not expect 5 star hotel service with the smile courtesy and politeness of 5 star hotels, for that you will need to check into a hotel. For $100, I can live without anyone smiling at me, it's a hospital, i just need to check in with professionals handling my birth and check out without much complications!

In all fairness the delivery team were very professional, and tried as much as possible to attend to my needs. Do note that they do have a group of teaching staff after all it's a teaching hospital. Contrary to talk outside, they are all supervised by Experienced doctors and certainly will not handle you object

My baby is now 8 months, I would definitely go back if I have a second baby.

lisa88 is offline Registered User
    Hi Cherina

I gave birth at POW in 2009. I had a good experience and would go back there. I agree with Marbella: the medical care is good, the comforts are 'no frills' so if you are ok with that, go ahead. My experience is at this link: Public Hospitals and there are quite a few other threads on POW.

Good luck!