Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5 mos pregnant & desperately seeking hospital near TKO

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

5 mos pregnant & desperately seeking hospital near TKO

Hi Geomums,

I'm nearly 5 months through my pregnancy and I'm re-evaluating my options for delivery as I've had a traumatic experience with the nearest public hospital to my place, United Christian Hospital. See thread United Christian Hospital - feedback

As my insurance will not cover this pregnancy due to the 10 month waiting period (we just arrived 4 weeks ago), my original plan was to have a mix of antenatal care with Annerley and go public with UCH for my delivery. But my not so good experience at UCH has thrown me bigtime and now I feel that I'm back to square one. I was so disheartened that I thought I'll just do away with hospitals and have a homebirth instead but I know that's quite tricky here

MY QUESTIONS ARE:
    Which comes first, book the doctor or the hospital?
    Any recommendations near Tseung Kwan O?

Many thanks Geomum!

Newbie HK
    Last edited by Newbie_hk; 01-08-2011 at 10:03 PM. Reason: additional info

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I have no idea about hospitals near where you live but I did not want to deliver at the nearest hospital to me (Tuen Mun) because I head heard some bad things about it so went to a private OB for a check up and asked him to write me a referral for Queen Mary hospital and prince of Wales hospital. Queen Mary did not accept this as it was out of the catchmnt area but Prince of Wales had no issues and I delivered there. This may be an option for you if you do not have insurance for private hospitals.

Sorry, just read your other post and you may find the same things in PWH!
    Good luck
    Last edited by AmyH; 01-08-2011 at 10:30 PM.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    if you go public then you don't get to choose the doctor so you'd have to book the hospital first (private is the other way around)...are you seeing an OBGYN privately? they can probably write you a referral to get you in more efficiently than you trying yourself.

charade is offline Registered User
    Newbie at the mch in hang hau I remember seeing a notice that women from the area could also register at
    queen Elizabeth. I didn't pay attention at the time but maybe you could go to Qe and try to register there. I did the Oscar test for the baby there and because it's a bigger teaching hospital I think the doctors would be more experienced plus they would be more used to foreigners. Not as much as queen Mary but might be better than uch. Worst case, uch is not that bad... Good luck
    Posted via Mobile Device

charade is offline Registered User
    Sorry I think it was Prince of Wales not Queen Elizabeth.

laial is offline Registered User
    Prince of Wales is quite a decent tertiary hospital with good medical facilities - on par with Queen Mary Hospital. The department there has a good reputation internationally with research and medical advances, probably more so than Queen Mary. I guess being a public hospital, you will still end up with the "no frills" issues, but at least you'll know that you're well looked after medically.

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    Hi, I am technically in the catchement area for united christian, but i didn't realise & registered at prince of wales - they didn't have a problem with that. the only thing is that they refused to do my mchc checks at hang hau, so i go to ma on shan for them (thankfully i work nearby, so it's not inconvenient to do this).

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User
    Thanks all you GeoMums for your reply. I'm still undecided that it even crossed my mind to just go home to Sydney and give birth there (it is cheaper to fly with all the costs here). But realistically speaking we live here now so I will probably just do my antenatal at a private clinic and perhaps try to extend my labour with a midwife at home until I absolutely have to go to a public hospital.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast