Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Weight gain issues

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User

Weight gain issues

The weight gain of my exclusively breastfed 3 month old is only half of what it should be per week. She has enough wet nappies a day. She is fed on demand and appears satisfied after meals (she doesn't ever cry for more). She feeds every 3-4 hours in the day and can sleep 6-7 hours at night. She's a happy little baby, 60th percentile in height but 10th percentile in weight! Any suggestions on what to do to improve the weight gain?

carang is offline Registered User

just be happy with the baby you've got. some babies are naturally smaller than others... it sounds like you're doing everything right. have confidence in yourself.

1) she's content
    2) she IS gaining, just not as much as you'd like
    3) she is producing enough nappies
    4) she is sleeping well
    5) she is satisfied after "meals"

so, really, the problem is with your perception, not with her or her feeding.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

^WSS, it really doesn't sound like there's a problem. Percentiles are only a statistical tool to help medical professionals and shouldn't be the only or the even most important indicator that all is well. My advice would be to stop monitoring her weight on a weekly basis, you'll drive yourself nuts for no reason!

matemate is offline Registered User

what was her percentile when she was born?

oi0io is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    just be happy with the baby you've got. some babies are naturally smaller than others... it sounds like you're doing everything right. have confidence in yourself.

1) she's content
    2) she IS gaining, just not as much as you'd like
    3) she is producing enough nappies
    4) she is sleeping well
    5) she is satisfied after "meals"

so, really, the problem is with your perception, not with her or her feeding.
    Carang couldn't of said it any better.

My son has always been in the 10-15% for weight and 30% for height. The pediatrician said babies come in all sizes and will catch up later on.

My son has always been petite and my pediatrician never had concerns.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I would also worry, but just in that worrisome motherly way. It sounds like you put it well yourself when you said that she was a happy baby and had enough wet diapers and was satisfied after feeds.
    I don't think those charts in hk are great. I wonder if they are based on formula fed babies, or if they are adapted from another country's. My son has always been in the 50% percentile for height and people here always comment on how tall he is and he is usually taller than most hk kids his age. But he's just average, according the 'the chart'. Don't sweat it. Just keep on listening to your baby. Sounds like you're doing a great job already.

prone_to_wander is offline Registered User

My LO is only in the 10th percentile. Some babies are small. I was also. If you think your baby is getting enough food, then I don't think you should worry too much. Breast milk is the most calorie dense food you can give, so I think you are doing fine.