Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Baby Boy Names

Hmmm is offline Registered User

Baby Boy Names

Hi I am an American married to a local chinese woman we are expecting our first son and I really like the name Caiden pronounced "Kay-din", Unfortunately, I have been told it doesn't translate well in cantonese...first just want to check if thats true and to see if it is really that bad....appreciate any candid thoughts

carang is offline Registered User
    i teach baby playgroups and can tell you that a LOT of locals choose Cayden, Kaden, Caiden etc as an english name.

my kids are mixed, too, so i have a question: why does the name have to "translate"? your child's english name doesn't necessarily have to have anything to do with the chinese name.

my son is Liam. His chinese name is Ga Lim (meaning incorruptable).
    my daughter is Riley. Her english name is Wing Yee. (no correlation at all between names)

Portia is offline Registered User
    I'm with Cara on this. My English name is my English name and my Chinese name is my Chinese name. There is no relation between the two. Both names are on my passport, although my Chinese name is my middle name. For my children, they only have their English names on their passports, but they have their Chinese name on their HK birth certificates.

my kids have both english and chinese names on their birth certs and on their passports

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I think he might have been referring to the way the words sound (the way the word 4 does etc..).... Does Cayden sound like a bad word in chinese? I have no answer by the way because I dont speak it (yet).

that's what i mean, though... there is no reason that his chinese name needs to sound like "caiden" if they don't want it to.... they could pick a completely different sounding name.

Hmmm is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all the replies, I am trying to figure out what Caiden sounds like in Cantonese and to see if the meaning is awful, as that will be the name we will be using the most and not his middle name. Plus, I'm not sure what my in-laws will think of the name given their english isn't very good.

moomoo is offline Registered User
    i'm thinking it may sound like how u say "egg" in cantonese..ie "gai-dan"...
    perhaps its not so much about the technical translation but more like the kid getting teased and made fun of by friends and classmates.. and having an unpleasant nickname given to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast