Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

baby classes?

babyblue#1 is offline Registered User

baby classes?

Hi ladies,

wondering any of you went to baby classes and are they worth going? it costs about $3000 for 8 lessons teaching labour care, breastfeeding, monitoring movement of baby and bathe etc..
    personally i think it's quite expensive for the 8 lessons and a lot of people told me i will learn it myself after baby's born. still tossing around what to do.. any advise?

JayJay is offline Registered User

Why not sign up for free classes at your local public hospital? The schedules won't be as convenient but, hey, they're free.

For 3k, I would rather buy a bunch of self-help books. Plus, you'll be surprised with how much you can learn at Youtube.

Btw, often after you've given birth, the hospital staff will give moms crash courses on changing and bathing...

lesliefu is offline Registered User

i wouldn't bother - where are you delivering? the mid-wives at Matilda are great...I delivered at HK Sanatorium and they gave me a DVD that was perfect and at the clinic I go to they have a Well Baby Clinic (contact no. 2592 9000)...not sure if you have to deliver with one of there doctors though, but worth checking out! Yvonne Heavyside is great too (based at Matilda).

babyblue#1 is offline Registered User

thanks girls..
    i m delivering at Baptist in less than 3 months and because i m not always in HK so i had no idea public systems offer free classes.
    i dun have much informations about giving birth in Baptist either since i only visit my OB once a month.. i dun even know what i should be packing in my bag going into hospital, dun even know when they will offer me to do the gloucose test... gosh i m getting all nervous now..

lesliefu is offline Registered User

I'd start getting your bag ready just in case...for the first one it's always a bit more nerve wrecking but everything will be fine! don't worry! I'd just ask about the glucose test at your next visit...just in case they've forgotten. this is what i had in my bag...
    1) night gown (if you plan on breastfeeding, one that opens up in the front - not a pretty dress)
    2) maternity pads
    3) toiletries
    4) change of clothes for when you leave
    5) if you plan on having visitors, then a top you can wear to see them in
    6) baby clothes
    7) baby wrap / blanket
    8) baby diapers and wet wipes
    9) baby napkin / towellette in case you need to wipe babies face
    10) how are you bringing baby home? carry / baskinet / car seat ?
    11) ipad etc if you can't leave home without it / a book to read (might be too tired though - but just in case)

I think that is about it! :) good luck with everything!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Before I had my first baby, I also wasn't living in HK, and couldn't really go often, therefore I missed out on the birthing class. For taking care of baby stuff, all that stuff you learn the first week, and to be honest, there isn't a lot of it (change diapers, bathe, dress, feed). Unless you're into taking some kind of natural birthing/breathing class, I wouldn't bother with spending the 3K and then the ferry fee too. I actually ordered a CDROM course from overseas. www.modusfive.com . It was decent and a small fraction of the cost.

taysty is offline Registered User

On top of what lesliefu had wrote, i want to add one is those wet suzuran wipes that comes in a box, individually packed with foil (2 pcs of cotton square inside) Its very useful, to clean nipples and etc. Also, if you want warm wipes for winter times, you can just dipped the foil inside a cup of hot or warm water. It warm the wet cotton square very quickly. Good luck with your delivery.

mariac is offline Registered User

Hi taysty - the suzuran wipes for the nipples sounds like a good idea. where do you get them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast