Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Where to Live? Stanley, Repulse, DB?

cathryn is offline Registered User
    Starbucks - wow you have him down to start DBIS this August at only 3yoa! That seems so early to start school, I'm not sure I'm ready to loose my son to school just yet! Or is it Kindergarden at DBIS? I'm a bit confused as to how the schools work out here. In the UK they go to pre-school a couple of mornings a week from about 2.5yrs then when they are about 3.5-4yrs they start going 4-5 mornings a week, then they start school the sept after their 4th birthday.

Well if we move there then I'll try and get his name down to see if he can start Aug next year when he will be 4, which I am sure there will be no chance! I'll just have to see what happens I suppose.

Banane - Are there many expats with children in Tung Chung. I really like the feel of DB and feel it would be a great place to meet other mums. Also how long does it take to get to Central from there?

Penelope - thanks for the info, I'll look into sunshine too.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi

I was just as confused as you were and still am! It is kindergarten I am meaning. 5 mornings or 5 afternoons a week - 3 hour sessions. There are a lot of places that offer K1 or an equivalent of this. For DMK the kids in K1 range from around 2.5 to 3.5 as you start in the August of the year in which you turn 3. So my son will start at K1 this August as he turned 3 in Feb. I think DBIS does a different calculation but for my son it would still be starting at Reception (K1 equivalent) in August. The waitlists are crazy as sibling take priority over new entrants (which grudgingly makes sense). I had forgotten about Sunshine House but that is also a possibility although not sure if they do kindergarten or just a playgroup. My son currently in the DMK playgroup (5 mornings a week - 2 hour sessions) and enjoys it so am hoping for a smooth transition to kindergarten which is longer sessions and more structured. At home, kids start on their 5th birthday (in state schools) and at the start of the term in which they turn 5 (for private schools). So I see this as a big difference in HK given they start so much earlier. I have heard really good things about DBIS so am hopeful that we will eventually get in there. DMK and Montessori (and maybe Sunshine House) offer options for a few years at their schools (for DMK and Montessori - 3 years - 2 kindergarten and the first year of primary) so that you can wait to get into DBIS or the ESF school Discovery College. Discovery College starts from primary 1 but DBIS has 2 years of kindergarten. Friends who put their kids names down at birth have got places so we were just behind the 8 ball as we were living in midlevels when our son was born!! Who knew we needed to anticipate where we would be living when he was 3!!

There are a lot of expats in Tung Chung and is conmvenient for shopping and transport into the city and airport. My impression is that it is more high rise living whereas there are a lot of options for low rise living in DB. That is what made us move from the convenience of midlevels as we were sick of high rise living and needed easy options for entertaining our toddler (and newborn in time to come). The entertainment options for them in DB are so easy as parks and playgrounds everywhere and awesome clubs with pools and indoor play areas for the summer. Gets a bit same same for the adults in terms of same restaurants etc (although a few news ones at the DB North Plaza which is good news) but its a compromise for a place that is awesome for kids. And on schooling, the same issues of finding a suitable place at a suitable school exist all over HK.

SB2

tanitsky is offline Registered User
    Hello everyone! I've following your msgs and found them very useful and informative. Great job!
    We are moving to HK this summer, and we have a 2 year old toddler, a 5 months old baby and 2 cats. We are wondering what would be the best neighborhoods for our family in HK, and after reading a lot, I find that Sai Kung may be an interesting option for us, since our housing allowance is miserable and can't really pack all of us in a shoe box if we choose to live in HK Island (or am I wrong?).

My husband and I will work in the Central, so we can't move too far for us to commute. How do people commute from Sai Kung? How's Sai Kung for living with small children? Is there a town with suppermarkets and stores? Can you do your daily shopping on foot? Or do people live in isolated town houses? Are there a neighborhood? Any comments will be very much appreciated. Please help!

cathryn is offline Registered User
    Starbucks - thank you so much for all the info on the schools. It makes much more sense now, I think I get it all. Well it looks like we have decided to come to DB, viewed some properties on Sunday which were really nice so just need to make a decision on which one. I also have 2 more to view this Wednesday.

I do find it so scary the thought of my son going to any school/playgroup 5 mornings or afternoons a week though, he was only on 2 mornings a week at pre-school back in the UK and it took him so long to get used to it, he got so upset every time I left him and took him about 3 months to stop crying every time, then when we left the UK he loved it and really looked forward to going. So I just hope we wont have the same issues here, I really hope they might let him gradually start a couple of mornings/afternoons a week and build up to 5, rather than straight in at 5.

Anyway we will sort all that out once we know when we will be moving over there.

Thanks again

Tanitsky - sorry I dont know anything about Sai Kung, hopefully someone else might know something

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi cathryn

You are welcome. I have also sent you a PM. DMK playgroup does have the option of 3 afternoons a week (instead of 5 mornings) which might work if your son no longer takes a nap at lunchtime. Since ours still sleeps, afternoon classes were no good.

Good luck with the move.

SB2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123