Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Helper wants to work in Canada

premama is offline Registered User

Helper wants to work in Canada

Hi,

I am relocating this summer and my helper (who we've had for over 4 years) told me she wants to try and work in Canada. As we're very fond of her, we would like to do everything we can to help secure her a job there with a family who would treat her well. Does anyone have any experience with this and know what the procedures are?

Thanks!

shri is offline Administrator

There are a lot of agencies here in HK. Most of them are setup to suck as much money out of the helper as possible - all sorts of processing fees etc. Processing fees can run around $40K and more.

Would recommend that you research this. The Canadian govt and a few non profits have some excellent resources.

This being the best place to start - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/caregiver/index.asp

Portia is offline Registered User

Shri - I don't want to accuse you of deleting my post as I am not 100% sure that I hit the post button, but I am pretty sure that I posted a reply which has been deleted. I'd be grateful if you would advise whether it is Geobaby's policy that we are not supposed to ever mention the name of your rival website which does have a helper agency? I think if this is a rule, you should make it clear.

shri is offline Administrator

I deleted it as it had no real information". Call Evelyn on AsiaXpat has absolutely no useful information. I like to think that the first reply should have some information which the user can act on immediately and gain something from it.

Am in the process of cleaning up a few posts and threads here to raise the signal to noise ratio.

I think you'll have your work cut out for you if you are going to delete every post with no useful information. Why would talking to someone in an agency that does Canadian placements be not useful?

carang is offline Registered User

our helper of just under 6 years relocated to canada about 3 weeks ago.

there used to be hefty agency charges for the helper, but as of apirl (?) last year, the canadian gov't passed regulations/laws requiring the EMPLOYER to pay ALL fees.

our helper is working in calgary for a family with 2 kids (5 & 7). after food allowance, CPP, tax and employment insurance is deducted, she gets about $1200 CAD/month (right now, the exchange is at par with the USD). she is working from 7am-7pm -ish, 5 days/week.

to get the job, she basically contacted one of the agencies. she had a few telephone/skype interviews and then decided on one family. the agency then took care of everything. i had a look at the contract and explained the various provisions and what htey meant to her and then provided a reference letter for her detailing her duties and her performance.

carang is offline Registered User

ps> as far as i know, evelyn doesn't do overseas placements. i tried using her when hiring our former helper's husband, who was at that time located in saudi arabia but quit his job and moved back to PH.

Cara - She does Canadian placements or at least she did 2 years ago. My former helper was interviewing through her and I spoke to her about the Canadian families that she had interviewed with and whether they would want a reference from me. I also ran into her at the Canadian consulate with a whole pile of visa applications that she was submitting. My former helper decided not to go in the end because her husband did not approve. You must miss your old helper a lot as you had spoken so highly of her in the past!

Last edited by Portia; 01-20-2011 at 05:58 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast