Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Breast pumps - what kind, where to buy?

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

I was looking at breast pumps when i was pregnant with my first and wasn't planning to go back to work for 12 months and the woman at the store gave me some great advice - she said wait until after the baby is born so that you actually know what type of pump you need/want or if you will even use one at all. They are easy to get if/when you do get one so don't waste your money! She was so right as i borrowed one from a friend (which was hand/electric, but basic) to try and my daughter wouldn't take a bottle, so if i had bought an expensive electric one it would've been a total waste of money. But if she had taken one, I would've been quite happy with the pump I had borrowed. So as you aren't going back to work straight away I would recommend waiting and if you can find one to borrow or rent in the meantime even better, as you can see how it works for you once your baby is born.

cutema is offline Registered User

If you can, try to get it from the States. I got my Medela from Diaper.com shipped to an US address, cost was around USD 350 while the price here is HKD 5,200 (lowest price around all shops I have been to). While I urgently needed an extra pair of the "top" part of the pump bottle, the distributor in Melbourne Plaza at Central charged me HKD 800 for a pair while I could get them for USD 14.99 from Amazon...

constancefaith is offline Registered User

If you are planning to BF exclusively then I would highly recommend the Medela Freestyle. You can buy them in HK but at a higher price, around $5000. You can ALSO buy it online, which only costs $3800 (When I bought it that is).
    It is electric, double pumping (left and right together), rechargeable (you can take out easily), it comes with 4 medela bottles, one cold pack, a bottle holder bag, a bigger bag for all the equipments.

I have been exclusively pumping for 7 months with the freestyle.
    I also tried the Medela manual one, and I suggest you use both actually. I pumped every 2 hours and for 30minutes in the first few months to get a higher supply and I get around 16oz every time I pump. Obviously every one will be different, but pump more and for a shorter period of time (like 8 times for 10-20mins)! It will stimulate your breasts thinking baby is not having enough milk!

Newbie_hk is offline Registered User

I used the Medela Pump in Style backpack. I loved it. I used it at home when I was going out and it came in a handy backpack that I brought along with me at work (that was back in Sydney and they allowed me to express at work). The backpack is big enough to store all the bottles so it was great for storage afterwards since everything is in one bag.

constancefaith is offline Registered User

Oh. Forgot to mention, the freestyle has straps that you strap onto your maternity bra so you can pump without holding onto the pumps!!! It was GREAT for me cos I got on laptops, read magazines, feed or change diapers for bub and even DRIVE hehe.

Trust me, I've pumped in toilets (clean ones :S), car, restaurants (with a cover over obviously)... Freestyle is absolutely the buy... will use it when I have second bub!

mariac is offline Registered User

thanks ladies! i have definitely decided to get a medela electric pump, so now trying to decide whether i should go for double or single pump. i don't need to pump exclusively, but i do want to breastfeed exclusively. is it advantageous to get a style that comes with more storage bottles etc.? i have no idea how much i'll be able to pump at one go. i saw the medela swing which is a single electric but it only comes with one 5oz bottle i think. what is the use of storage bags? can the bottles simply be stored in the fridge or no?

constancefaith - what is the site for buying it online from HK?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

You can always buy more bottles if you want them. If you want to pump a lot, I think double is definitely the way to go - but if it's just for once a day or even less, I'd probably go with something smaller and just single pumping. I love my Pump In Style but it is a bit bulky if I wasn't using it all the time. The Swing is probably what I'd go for if I wanted electric but for less frequent pumping.

I pump into the 8oz bottles (I have just three of them), then I transfer the milk into the 5oz bottles, cap it and put it in the fridge. I only have five 5oz bottles. Then I feed directly from the 5oz bottles. I don't freeze milk at all, just use chilled freshly pumped milk (never more than a day old).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12