Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Breast pumps - what kind, where to buy?

mariac is offline Registered User

Breast pumps - what kind, where to buy?

Hi ladies, I'm currently 7 months pregnant and looking into buying a good breast pump. I hear Medela pumps are the best. Are there other ones that have worked for people? Also, I am very confused about whether to get an electric one or a manual one. It seems that the manual ones are light and portable while the electric ones are heavy but efficient. Can people please share their experiences with either type of these pumps? I will be a stay-at-home mom so I'll have more time to pump but at the same time I'm a first-time-mom and not used to any of this, so wondering if the electric might be a better option for me.

What are some of the best places in HK to buy breast pumps?

blingdiva is offline Registered User
    I've used Medela pump with my first child and also used the avent manual pump. With my second child now i'm using the avent electric double pump. I prefer the avent electric pump; it has worked well for me better than medela and manual. The electric pumps in HK are expensive, the avent pump that i'm using now is about HK$ 5000+, and the manual avent is about 350. If you opt to use Medela, you can consider renting the hospital grade pump. I think you pay a deposit and a monthly rental fee. The company is called Celki (not sure if this the correct spelling!) hope this helps!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    It really depends what your "pumping goals" are. With my first daughter, I just pumped irregularly so that I'd have a handful of bottles if she needed it. I think she probably only ever drank about 20 bottles or so all up since it was easier to breastfeed if I was at home anyway. I've used three handpumps - one was a cheap one from Wing On which was pretty useless, then I've also used the Avent Isis and the Medela Harmony. I prefer the Medela than the Isis, simply because sometimes my flow was too great for the Isis and the milk would build up inside and sometimes completely pop the valve out! The Medela's design means that problem doesn't happen. But the Isis was comfortable and effective as well - I think it's just not great for people with fast flow.

I am now exclusively pumping for my second daughter as she cannot breastfeed (cleft palate as well as other medical issues) and I'm using the Medela Pump In Style. I find it great - and I've been using it literally for HOURS each day for going on six months now! When she was first born, I was pumping eight times a day, now I'm down to just 2-3 times, and the pump is great for "heavy duty pumping". However it is quite expensive and in my opinion, if you're not going to be using it a lot, it may not be worth the money.

When I travelled with my first born, I just took the hand pump and it was light and easy to take around. Even with my second daughter, sometimes I've needed to pump out of the house and I preferred to just take the hand pump so I wouldn't be carrying the PIS around. I find the hand pump to be just as effective as the electic but it takes a lot more effort - plus it takes twice as long since the PIS is a double pump (can empty both sides at once).

Anyway - all that to say, if you are just going to be pumping a little to build up some supply in the freezer I'd recommend getting a manual pump - my preference being the Medela Harmony, but if you want to pump at least a couple of times a day, a double electric like the Pump in Style can save you a lot of time and effort.

I bought my PIS on Amazon and had a friend ship it to me, it was cheaper than getting it here.

Another double electric pump that a lot of people like is the Ameda Purely Yours breast pump - although I've heard a lot of people say that it doesn't work for them. I've never tried it though so I can't recommend it.

One tip - don't "over pump" - you can actually build up your supply TOO much which can lead to more engorgement, blocked ducts and mastitis. If you're baby is feeding well, just try to pump just once a day - not after every single feed, unless you want to HAVE to pump every time (which could be a pain if you want to get out of the house!)

I've never really combined pumping/bottle feeding with breastfeeding though - but I have exclusively breastfed with just a few bottles, and I have also exclusively pumped... in some ways, I think that combining bottle feeding (pumped breastmilk) with breastfeeding would be even harder than just one or the other!!

taysty is offline Registered User
    I'm using single Avent Manual one and also electric one. It comes in a package. Both not heavy. You just change the "head" of the funnel. Quite comfortable with it. However, the electric one when pumping is only quiet in the begining. After a while (maybe 2 weeks) it become so noisy that i just couldnt bring to work. The manual one is good, but if you pump a lot your hand ache. Now i prefer the manual one as i think the suction for electric one had decrease.

For Electric ones, i cant find it in Wing On, i bought my in Mothercare. Dont worry, breast pump is quite easy to find.

Good Luck!

mariac is offline Registered User
    Oh wow, ladies this is really helpful! Didn't realize there was such a huge difference in price between manual and electric as well! The thing is, I won't be going back to work right away so part of me thinks I should just make do with a manual pump for occasions such as going out, getting some rest, etc. but i don't know how patient i'll be with the hand pumping. on the other hand, spending $HKD5000+ for something i don't end up using that much can be unjustified.

taysty - how much is the Avent Manual+Electric package?

thanks a lot for the input so far! hope to hear from more people...

@ mariac
    I got mine slightly over 1k, beware there's only one funnel, but one manual head and one electric head. You can call up the mothercare and they'll quote you the price. Eugene in Central doesnt tell me the price when i want to get it. So i went straight to mothercare. Also, just to help, there's another walk up store in Wan Chai selling it too. I'm checking out. Tell you later.

@ Nicolejoy

The valve doesnt pop out if you buy the electric one for Avent. The manual one (the valve is like a star shape) pops up easily. I knew it becoz i had 2 sets at home (that's a long story to tell)

@ mariac

I assume you're not chinese? So i had include the exact link for you if you want to buy.
    http://www.mamabebe.com.hk/index.php...64&new=&more=&
    Haha, i found out there's english version of the website. So have fun navigate yourself. I bought some stuff there. It's just a walk up store nothing compare to bumps to babes or mothercare. But do have some goodies i find it useful and at reasonable price. Opps, i'm sorry to tell that there's no discount on the breast pump. But for first time buyer over non-controlled price items, over HK$300 i got 10% discount.

I think i'm being overly helpful? I'm a first time mum so i went thru many so called de tour. So, i'm very eager to share cheapies that i can find.

If you need anymore details about this store, let me know.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Maria - actually I found that manual pumping is not THAT hard, particularly if you only want to do it once a day. I have a friend who EXCLUSIVELY pumped for her daughter, pumping something like SIX times a day, and she only ever used a manual pump! I don't have the patience for that though. But if I was just pumping once a day in addition to breastfeeding directly, I would still recommend a hand pump.

I don't think it's worth it to buy an electric while you're still pregnant (in my opinion) because a) they are so expensive! and b) you really don't know in advance how much you will use it, so it's a bit of a waste if you end up not using it that much... Of course if you have a lot of money to spare then maybe you want to just in case - but it's one of those things that you can't take back if you change your mind!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast