Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Registered at QMH, moving to Tung Chung

banane76 is offline Registered User

Registered at QMH, moving to Tung Chung

Hello everyone! I'm registered to give birth at QMH, but we're moving to Tung Chung. I liked my QMH experience but a bit nervous about travelling from Tung Chung. Is this realistic? How long does it take to get to QMH? Thanks for any help!

carang is offline Registered User

it only takes about 30 minutes to get from Tung Chung to QMH by taxi. really, babies don't usually come so fast that you wouldn't make it to the hospital in time...at least most of them don't...

JayJay is offline Registered User

Hong Kong is small. But 30min is exaggerating it a bit for Tung Chung To QMH. Even Google Maps directions gives a route that takes 37 min, not considering traffic.

If you consider the worse case scenario in terms of traffic, just making it across the tunnel could you take you over an hour (ie, what if you're water broke during morning rush hour on a weekday?).

You should also keep in mind that if you call an ambulance, they will not take you from Tung Chung to QMH. They'll just take you to the nearest public hospital.

TheQuasimother is offline Registered User

Welcome to Tung Chung Banane76! It's a wonderful community of mums. Holler if you want to go for a stroll or tea.

I delivered at Matilda so I can tell you that the commute isn't bad. It's just that you can't wait until the contractions are 5 minutes apart to get there! So when there was bloody show (water had not broken), the midwife told me to go straight to the hospital.

As long as you tell the taxi driver to take you to QMH via Western Tunnel, you'll be there in half an hour. We often use that route to drive to Ap Lei Chau (Horizon Plaza) at all sorts of times. The Western Tunnel is NEVER congested and the route to QMH after is pretty straight forward.

Sending you a PM.

“If you want to get to the castle, you’ve got to swim the moat.” Richard Jenkins in Eat Pray Love

banane76 is offline Registered User

Thanks so much! My husband and I will be soooo relieved!

carang is offline Registered User

i drive from tsing yi to cyberport all the time... it takes me 22 minutes, so ABOUT 30 minutes(which is what i said) isn't far off getting to QMH. if you go through the western tunnel, there is NEVER any traffic. i use it about 10X/week and i've NEVER had to wait in line to pay the toll.

tung chung to kennedy town is highway the entire way. once in kennedy town it takes about 5 minutes to get to QMH.