Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

chest pains = gall bladder?

carang is offline Registered User

chest pains = gall bladder?

i've been experiencing "chest pains" recently. i've had them 3 times over the past 2 weeks. i had them yesterday so badly that i went to A & E dept (i have chronic hyper-tension, too). the pain is from my breastbone to just under the boob on the right hand side. it feels like someone is squeezing something inside there. the pain is excruciating when it hits and it comes in waves about 30 seconds apart. (almost feels like the uterus contracting after giving birth, except higher up). it brings tears to my eyes and takes my breath away when it hits...

anyway, the dr at A & E gave me an ECG immediately, a chest x-ray and blood tests. all came back normal, so he said i have acid relux/indigestion.

i'm very doubtful of this....my mother had gall bladder problems (removed when she was 25), my grandmother had problems (removed when she was 42ish), my aunt has had problems....

would you mind describing the pain you suffered with your gall bladder? i'm wondering if i could be having some kind of problem with that rather than acid reflux.

someone... PLEASE help! i've had the pains since 3am again today....it takes my breath away and i just want to curl up and die when it hits!!

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Carang, never had gallbaldder pain, but if you want to rule it out definitively you should get an ultrasound because if you don't have gall stones it won't be that.
    I'm not sure of your age but pain this severe that comes on out of the blue, and is squeezing in nature needs to have heart problems ruled out first. How long did they screen your blood tests for, because usually a one off is not sufficient to diagnose the heart. Sorry i can't be more helpful.

thanks, it's on the wrong side to be the heart, combined with the ecg, x-ray and blood tests...i'm fairly confident that it isn't the heart, although when i first experienced the pain a couple of weeks ago it was definitely a concern.

i have an appt at the hospital for my blood pressure next week, so i'll definitely be bringing it up with them. but i've had it now, two nights/days in a row and i'm not sure how i'll manage to make it until next week if this continues...

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I have never experienced it myself, but my mother in law had to have hers removed when she was 27 so I will ask her about her symptoms when she wakes up - she is in the UK so it will be after 5pm here that I can call her.

There is a website called gallbladderattack.com and when I went on there, the symptoms listed are as follows:

Moderate to severe pain under the right side of the rib cage
    Pain may radiate through to the back or to the right shoulder
    Severe upper abdominal pain (biliary colic)
    Nausea
    Queasiness
    Vomiting
    Gas
    Burping or belching
    Attacks are often at night
    Attacks often occur after overeating
    Pain will often but not always follow a meal with fats or grease
    Pain may be worse with deep inhalation
    Attacks can last from 15 minutes to 15 hours

I will let you know what the MIL says!

rani is offline Administrator
    OMG Cara! Did you tell the Dr of your family history? Is there private Dr in Sai Kung you can see?

Moderate to severe pain under the right side of the rib cage mine is the right side, but not under the rib cage... it's higher than that
    Pain may radiate through to the back or to the right shoulder have felt it in my back
    Severe upper abdominal pain (biliary colic) nope
    Nausea nope
    Queasiness a little
    Vomiting not yet, thank god!
    Gas yep
    Burping or belching not really
    Attacks are often at night all three times have started at night
    Attacks often occur after overeating nope...
    Pain will often but not always follow a meal with fats or grease nope, had clam chowder for dinner
    Pain may be worse with deep inhalation can't breathe deeply...can't breathe at all when it hits
    Attacks can last from 15 minutes to 15 hours going on 11 hours now...

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    Do you have any family hx of heart problems? Is there something triggering the pain? Do you have something to measure your blood pressure when you are experiencing the pain? There are other test that can be done to rule out heart issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast