Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How to stop breast feeding?

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    If you count each one of your pumping sessions as one feed then drop one session every five days and then stop altogether. Don't do pumping sessions next to each other i.e. plan it so they are at different times of day. Then you will have a comfortable slow down without much pain. I then wore a tight-ish sports bra for a week and it all worked out fine with no issues at all. I did this after feeding both my babies.

taysty is offline Registered User
    @ nicolejoy

My baby is close to four months now. I also find it doesn't make sense as I sometimes get more milk when I'm engorged but sometimes not.

@ newbiekt

I think your way is good at different time each day.

@ yonge

I work 5 days so taking warm shower is not so convenient though I want the quickest way.
    Posted via Mobile Device

southside852 is offline Registered User
    With my first son, I dropped a feed every 3 days. I had no engorgement and I didn't pump.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    My lactation consultant in the United States said that if you want to dry up your milk supply all you need to do is take a cold medicine with any decongestant in it. It will dry up your milk supply quickly. Of course, you should be done breastfeeding your baby at the point when you start using the medicine so that your baby won't be taking in any of the medicine.

So, I think that your idea of reducing the amount and times that you pump breast milk is the first step--meanwhile getting your baby established on using a bottle/formula. Then pick a date that you won't be using your breastmilk to feed the baby after and on that day start taking a cold medicine with a decongestant in it. You can still pump breast milk to relieve pressure if needed.

Some of what I've read recommends taking ibuprofin for any pain or swelling associated with not expressing milk and wearing tight sports bras to provide counter pressure. You can also put cabbage leaves in your refrigerator and apply them to your breasts--this is a home remedy for engorgement.

I stopped pumping and breastfeeding my son "cold turkey" when he was about 6 months old. I just said one day, "I'm done." I don't remember any particular problems with engorgment--but that might be because my breasts were always itchy, sore and miserable the entire 6 months I breastfed so any new discomfort probably went unnoticed. I finally found relief when I stopped breastfeeding. However, my son was born over 3 years ago and I still had milk leaking from my breasts even before I got pregnant with the baby I'm carrying now. So, even though your milk "dries up" sometimes your body still produces milk--for up to years afterward. I think this is pretty common.

Hope everything goes well.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

@ Thanka2

Thank you very much for your tip. The cold medicine is a good one. Hope the braxton kicks will be over for you soon. Good luck with the delivery.

Macaron is offline Registered User
    I was pump feeding for a few months after I went back to work, and started weaning when bub was 6 months.

My lactation consultant Mrs Chee advised me to drop an ounce with each pump session, eg if you normally pump 4oz on one breast in the morning, try dropping it down to 3, and see how that feels. Normally it will take a couple of weeks to wean though. Eventually I could also stretch the times between pumping sessions, and dropped down to 3 a day, then 2 a day, then 1, then once every 2 days etc. I weaned successfully over 3 weeks I think, and my periods came right back.

Mrs Chee also advised eating pate, black beans, and pigeons to help with the weaning.

@ Macaron

Thanks for your tips. I knew about black beans and pigeon. What is pate though?
    Posted via Mobile Device

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by taysty View Post
    What is pate though?
    Ground up goose liver, traditionally but can be made with other types of liver as well. Pigeon? I always tease my husband when he eats that that he's eating a "flying rat"--some of the greasiest meat I've ever seen in my life.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast