Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

How to stop baby sucking/eating her fingers/fist

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

I wouldn't, it's part of their development. A small minority of babies/children are very 'mouthy' and they put things in their mouths and need to suck way past when most children give it up, that's when you get those nightmare stories of people not giving up the thumb or pacifier for years. My son is one of those babies and he sucks his thumb all the time but I know if it wasn't his thumb it would be a pacifier or blanket or whatever, it's just part of who he is and he'll grow out of it eventually.

For the vast majority of kids they go through this stage then stop on their own.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

My boy is 2 and still sucking his thumb. I get comments nearly every day from the locals, always have. I don't mind so much, but apparently it's a real no-no here. I don't see too many Chinese kids sucking their thumbs.

taysty is offline Registered User

Yes, there's 2 example in my hubby's family that went over 2 years old.

Gataloca is offline Registered User

I don't know what is worse, sucking on a finger or a pacifier. My baby sucks on both. He use the pacifier to sooth himself to sleep, and sucks or his fingers or hands when he is bored. What I do sometime is to take his hand out of his mouth and give him so toy to grap
    Posted via Mobile Device

taysty is offline Registered User

@ Gataloca

I dont know too. I would think fingers/hands are worse as fingers/hands are always readily available? When she is feeling sleepy i tried to replace it with a soother, if bored i gave her toys sometimes. Anyway, i cant really stop as many mummies comment that it is a stage that every babies go through. And i cant put my eyes on her 24 hours.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    My boy is 2 and still sucking his thumb. I get comments nearly every day from the locals, always have. I don't mind so much, but apparently it's a real no-no here. I don't see too many Chinese kids sucking their thumbs.
    Us too! I don't mind as I know he'll stop when he's ready, like I said in my earlier post, I think it's just the way he is and if it wasn't his thumb it would be a dummy or a blankie or something, but people comment ALL the time!

blessed is offline Registered User

same here... our baby is nearly 4 months and he chews on anything, but his index finger seems to be his favourite! sophie the giraffe would come in a close second!

seems that he chews on his fingers or side of his palm when he is bored or trying to get himself to sleep. we are totally fine with him doing it, and actually prefer it this way then him using a dummy (which he hates since newborn anyway). we just try to keep him occupay with other toys, games, story, songs etc and always wipe his hands clean with a towel.

what i can't stand is people (esp passer-by, strangers in restaurants) commenting on it and trying to pull my son's finger out from his month, why are they worry when his parents are right there and happy with it?

btw he started being a bit moody this weekend and started crying without reason and chews more then before, will that be teething? so soon?

carang is offline Registered User

yep, sounds perfectly normal... and yes, it could have something to do with teething...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast