Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

How to stop baby sucking/eating her fingers/fist

taysty is offline Registered User

How to stop baby sucking/eating her fingers/fist

My baby is nearly 4 months but recently she loves to put her fingers/fist inside her mouth alot no matter she is full or bored or wants to sleep. I wanted to quit her out of this habit by giving her soother but am not successful.

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    Why would you prevent your baby from doing this ? there is nothing more natural for a baby to put her finger/hand/fist and toes in her mouth, as well as anything else she'll find on her way. That's they way to discover their world.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    unfortunately this is the stage that they are in - they are exploring - I'd only start worrying if habit were to last till 1year old...for now, keep her hands clean so no germs go in...

I've know some kids that still have this habit till 3/4 years old. Hence....

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    My 6 month old has the same problem. It weren't so bad if he would not leave drool everywhere. And also as the weather is cold, his little hands are now wet and cold all the time.
    Posted via Mobile Device

I now put on bib on her which she hates it. I felt sorry for putting on a bib as i personally thought bib is for feeding not for her saliva only. Maybe, i should just give her more chewy books or etc to let her explore rather than her little fingers/hand.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    EVERY baby goes through that stage. Just because they go through that stage doesn't mean they will still be doing it when they are 3 or 4 (if that were true, EVERY 3-4 year old would be doing it). Apparently, the mouth has an even "stronger" sense of touch than the fingers, so that truly is the most effective way for them to explore the world. In addition, around 4-6 months, they often start teething and so chewing on things can relieve the discomfort.

I personally think that I'd start correcting it if a) they were hurting themselves by it, or b) if they were well and truly old enough NOT to be doing it. At four months, it really is age appropriate though - and letting her wear a bib all the time to collect the saliva is probably a better response than trying to MAKE her stop... and it's easier on you too!! Chances are, she'll grow out of it soon enough :)

Thank you all for your advices. Now i've reassurance from non first time mum that my baby can quit when the times come.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast