Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Live-out FT helper?

Portia is offline Registered User

Even before the law changed, it wasn't easy to get permission properly from Immigration. I don't think many people bothered to do it officially.

I had to get a signed sub-tenancy agreement for my live out helper which had been stamped by the Stamp Office in order to protect the domestic helper with regard to her accommodation. And Immigration also required a permission letter from the landlady with regard to the sub-tenancy which was very difficult to get and which she wanted money for.

sunrays is offline Registered User

Portia...so to confirm, it IS possible to legally employ a FT helper who lives out? What do you need to prove to immigration to allow you to do this? How long ago did you do this?

Anyone else done this or heard of anyone doing this???

carang is offline Registered User

no, it is no longer possible... it WAS possible BEFORE 2003, and the ONLY people who can legally do this are those who had permission prior to the change.

Portia is offline Registered User

It's no longer possible to have a live out FDH. Sorry, but I was talking about how difficult it was even before they changed the law. As Cara says, it is now only possible if you had permission from Immigration prior to the change and I think for the same helper. Now if you want a legal live out helper, you need to employ someone with a dependent's visa or a local helper.

Gracey is offline Registered User

Hi everyone, Thanks to all of you for your advice! :)
    We wouldn't mind boosting her housing allowance to HK $1,500 or so. We want to be fair, but also not get ripped off. (We live in Kowloon, if that helps. I think prices are lower here). We would also pay for transportation and food.

I know there's no point in complaining here, but it really does seem unfair. So a local Chinese helper has the freedom to live out, but a Filipina does not? What kind of government policy is that? What about long-time Filipinas in HK? Do they get permenant residency and become "local" after 7 years like everyone else?

Please don't read too deeply into this, but I would prefer not to hire a full-time local / mainland Chinese helper. Long ago, many Hong Kongers used them, and they really were "jie jie" or "ayi," meaning they were like pseudo aunts who felt they had say over childcare decisions, etc. According to my older relatives, there was alot of conflict -- it was too close for comfort.
    For some reason, with "foreign" (like Filipina) helpers, I think it's easier to keep that line between employer and employee. I'm just going by the experience of my family and friends. Even my relatives who speak no English are wary of local / mainland helpers. I don't mean that to sound prejudiced, but I think there's a big cultural difference.

Hmmm. What to do. My current PT is live-out. Maybe I'll ask her what the situation is.

carang is offline Registered User

no, a FDH cannot EVER get permanent residence here... even if they work in hk for 25 years, they are not eligible.

jojoye is offline Registered User

Be prepared that a local person is very expensive. After a few bad experiences of hiring foreign helpers, we're now hiring living-out chinese helper. We pay her $9000 for 6 days/7 hours a day. and of course most of these ladies have families in hk so sometimes their work schedule will have to be accommodated. I like her because she can speak mandarin to my kids and is very sensible and careful with the types of food she feeds my children.

However, after factoring everything, it's at least 3 times as expensive!

banane76 is offline Registered User

#1-it's illegal, #2-you want to know where your helper is living because if it's dirty, they're going to bring possible germs, etc with them when they come to work, #3-on top of salary, you need to provide food allowance and accomodations, #4-again, it's illegal and yes, many people do it, but like said above, you need to be careful if something happens or if one of your helper's friends decides they want to tell on your helper. Of course the laws will be different for a FDH because it's there to actually protect the helper...you're responsible for their visa so in turn, you're responsible for them. A local person has different rights because they are a resident here. It would be the same in any other country. You don't have the same rights as a local person if you're in a foreign country. Also if you're here on a work visa, you probably have a different financial situation than an FDH.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast