Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

19 months old, Climb out of crib

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    My 2 yr old is still in his crib and never climb out. He rolls around in bed a lot, putting his feet up on the sides etc. We waited because we are moving apt in a couple months and think we will get him a real bed then. I do worry about the transition ( especially we plan to give his crib to his baby brother whom he yet learn to like).
    Do you keep toddler in sleeping bag or switch to blanket? What about pillow ?
    Posted via Mobile Device
    For some children, giving up their crib can be traumatic--but usually that's because the parents don't go about it the right way. Take for example, my mom. When my younger brother was at the age where he was ready to switch to a bigger bed what she decided to do was to pack up the crib and then tell him "Say bye bye to your crib" and then put him in a bigger bed. The result of this was that he, an almost completely night-time potty trained child, started wetting the bed. He was so traumatized by having his bed being taken away.

But, I think if you start early and gradually transition your child into another bed it can actually go by really smoothly. I think the fact that my son slept on the floor for so many months beside his bed before we moved it out definitely helped. Actually one day, we tried to put him to bed to sleep there he literally told us, "Dadda, this is a baby bed. You go buy a big bed for me?"

Then, I asked him last week, "Where is the new baby going to sleep when she comes?" He told me to follow him to where we have his crib stored and said, "This is the new baby's bed."

So, I just say all that to say that transitioning an older child out of a crib need not be a tearful experience. Also, I never had my child sleep in a sleeping bag--he always just had blankets and enough layers of clothes to keep him warm. He has been using a pillow probably since he was maybe 6-months-old and now he has a regular pillow.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

southside852 is offline Registered User
    My son climbed out of his crib at 20 months. As soon as he did this we transitioned him to a bed as we didn't want him getting hurt. We first put a mattress topper on the floor for a week or so. Then we boght a regular twin size bed with the longest rail we could find (KidCo.) and it almost covers the entire side of the bed. On the other side we have a long bolster type pillow that I used while pregnant which works perfectly as he's still sleeping with it today at age 3. We felt it was a waste to buy a toddler bed. We put a small stool so he can get up into his bed and we have a gate at his door too.

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    A couple of American girlfriends have mentioned something called a "crib tent" which is designed to help keep them in the cot/crib for a little longer! I haven't seen one in HK but it may be worth investigating.

Portia is offline Registered User
    I think the crib tents from the US/Canada will probably only be of any use if you have a North American sized crib as they fasten to the sides and rise up like a tent, but most of us in Hong Kong won't have that size of crib as it's not commonly available here.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    If anyone is interested, I have a "North American-sized crib" that's in good condition I would love to give away. :)
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12