Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Many Contractions Did You Have A Day? (Second+ Time Mothers)

thanka2 is offline Registered User

Question How Many Contractions Did You Have A Day? (Second+ Time Mothers)

I'm just curious--for second-time (or third+) mothers out there--in subsequent pregnancies did you have more intense Braxton-Hicks contractions than with the first baby?

I started having painful Braxton-Hicks at about 5 months pregnant. I'm now over 8 months pregnant and the last three days I've been having at least 10+ contractions a day and they are really intense and painful! They last several minutes and take my breath away--complete with lower back pain and all that.

I'd heard from some friends who have several children that their Braxton-Hicks were painful in subsequent pregnancies but I'm wondering if anyone out there was having loads of contractions like I am.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I've had more painful ones this time round too. But when I told the mchc nurse about it, they started to get a little concerned and warned me that if I got them at all regularly( I think 10+ a day qualifies), to go to the obg unit at the hospital. Not to scare you but...
    I find I get them very irregularly, mostly when I'm on the go, and especially if my bladder is full.
    I really think your contractions in the very least warrant a trip to your gyny, as he can do an examination to see if there is any preterm progress down there.
    Good luck thanka2, I'm thinking of you!

carang is offline Registered User
    i'm happy to say, but sorry to tell you that i didn't have ANY kind of contraction whatsoever with either pregnancy...

BUT, i will say that with my first, i didn't feel my uterus contracting after birth...but with my second, i think i was screaming as loudly as the ladies delivering naturally without meds! it was EXCRUCIATING! and lasted from about 11am-4pm.... it was so painful that my "self-dosing" pain med that they gave me for the "after the c-section pain" clocked up 41 doses in about 1.5 hours...of course, it didn't deliver that amount of meds, but all the doctors and nurses commented on it! i certainly felt better having a button to take all my pain out on!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    I had more contractions for my second pregnancy too... I guess your body, knowing what's happening, is preparing much sooner. That's probably why second birth generally happen much faster !

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
    I had more contractions for my second pregnancy too... I guess your body, knowing what's happening, is preparing much sooner. That's probably why second birth generally happen much faster !
    I certainly hope this go around will go by faster! I don't want to do the 43-hour labor thing again. Y'know, it wasn't even the pain of the first labor that was hard (although, it was pretty darn painful without any pain medication) but the fact that it went on forever-and-ever. Give me a painful birth that lasts only a few hours and I can take it!
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned
    I had at least that amount for the last 6-8 weeks of my second pregnancy and quite strong and my ob said totally normal. I was hoping it would mean going early or at least on time but unfortunately no - I was still 10 days over and had to be induced. I had to be monitored every few days in the last 2 weeks and the nurses commented on how strong they were, but not enough to start labour. My labour was much shorter though and agree, that made the pain much more manageable!

Hmmmm....well, that's good to hear, TNT, that the labor was shorter :) I'm not too concerned about due dates as I went into labor naturally exactly on my due date with my son. If I go over my due date I will resist being induced as I firmly believe that babies are "cooked" when they're "cooked" (even though there are many doctors who would disagree with me on this). Anyway, I'm all for a shorter labor!

Mother of Two

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I had more braxton hicks 2nd time around, but then went overdue! My braxton hicks didn't do much for me because even at 41 weeks, my cervix wasn't even soft or anything! Had to be induced in the end (well, didn't HAVE to be, but it was my preference at the time).

Definitely the post-labour pains were more intense 2nd time around as well!!

All the best, and I hope your little girl will be here soon-but-not-too-soon ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast