Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Preschool

southside852 is offline Registered User
    HKIS (Hong Kong International School) is the #1 feeder into US Universities as it follows the US curriculum. It;s the equivalent of Punahou on Oahua (my husband is from Oahua and went there). Their primary school is in Repulse Bay and like Carang said their high school is in Tai Tam - both on HK Island. I am not familiar with Tung Chung area, but I believe most international schools are on HK Island - CIS, Canadian, Singapore, HKIS, Lycee, Swiss/German etc....All have very international student bodies. Many of these schools have year long (if not longer) waitlists, but of course people are dropping out all the time due to moves, change of jobs etc...I would appy now. We live in SIngapore now and applied 1.5 years ahead of our expected entrance date for his pre-k class at the American School. Hong Kong is the same way.

With regards to your list above. Sunshine House and Woodlands have a few locations around HK Island. IMS (internionational montessori school) is on HK Island too.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I believe that Discovery Minds (DMK) also has playgroup and kindergarten classes in Tung Chung. My son attends the DMK playgroup in DB (unaccompanied) and he seems to enjoy it. Would be worth checking their website.

http://www.dmk.edu.hk/tc/index.php

Totally second the suggestion to put names down early. We put our sons name down on a school wait list when he was 2 years old to start kindergarten this year when he is 3.5 and he is too late to get in this year. So in some cases the wait list is more like 2.5 years or more! Crazy.
    Last edited by starbucks2; 03-07-2011 at 02:52 PM.

oahu_2011 is offline Registered User
    Super useful. With our move date in less than a month away, I will have to get my act together... I will probably want to get to know mommies in th TC area once we get settled...

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    Was going to suggest DMK too. A few of my friends send their kids there and they really like it. We won't be sending our son there though but when we asked, the head-mistress told us that they give priority to pre-existing students ie. if you send your daughter there for playgroup (parent / helper accompanied) or pre-nursery (unaccompanied from 2yrs up) they will automatically (?) be accepted for K1 (2yrs 8months up). I think it's a fairly new school so there isn't as much of a problem in getting in.

If you're going to consider the "local" route (such as Sun Island), there are also two other local schools in the area - Green Pastures and one that is run by Po Leung Kuk. These are Cantonese-speaking schools that teach English 2-3 times a week (half hour lessons). You can't apply to these ones until your child is at the age to start school in the following school year. So, if your daughter is to start in 2013, you can't apply until 2012 (normally October time). We'll be sending our son to the PLK one.

katfroggatt is offline Registered User
    Hi all, i am also new to HK and my son is almost 1 and i am looking at a playgroup for him. I have been put on a waitlist for CityKids in Mid level. I am also starting to do my research for a Kindergarten for him, i believe they call it Preschool here? I am looking at ESF and Victoria. Anybody has any feedback on both schools pls? Also, can i ask your advise on how early do i have to put his name in, can i do it now if there is a long waitlist? I want to avoid any disappointments and would like my son to go to a good preschool that teaches him both english and mandarin and hopefully a third language as well, maybe French. Any thoughts to share please? :)

carang is offline Registered User
    best thing to do is to call each school individually to ask about their admissions policy and timings, each school has their own policy. ESF is slightly different as they are a system of schools.

have you visited the schools to see which you think is best? if not, how did you come up with victoria and esf?

katfroggatt is offline Registered User
    hi there thanks for your reply. I have been recommended these schools from other mummies who send their kids there, and i have gone online to check the information. I am planning for a site visit to the school but i dont want to appear too anxious as my son is barely one. In Singapore, some schools take enrollments as early as when the kid is 6 months! So im just checking on the application culture here and if i must be a super early bird in order not to miss out. :)

carang is offline Registered User
    as i said, every school is different, you have to call each school individually. i do know that esf only accepts applications from the year before the child would enter.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast