Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

how to get toddler to take medicine?

anotherone is offline Registered User
    I'd like to ask a related question, if I may.

Our son is 7 months old, so I don't think he has reached the "intentionally making himself sick to bring up the meds" stage yet. But everytime when we feed him Calpol / paracetamol he would instantly throw up projectilely - something that he never does normally. It gets very frustrating as he would bring up his entire feed AND would continue to suffer as there's just no way to get any meds down him. Any tips?

geomum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sazzy View Post
    It kills me to admit this but I say, if you have your medicine, you can have some chocolate....
    Works like a charm in our household ;)

carang is offline Registered User
    sazzy, we did that with our first as well... then one time... oops! mummy forgot to buy them...oh, well, next time. and so on...nothing to be ashamed of there! we also let the kids squirt the syringe themselves, too!

bagel is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    Don't tell him its medicine, say its juice. Most kids medicines are super sweet anyways so they won't know. Try putting it in a tiny fancy bottle or something.
    even if i suggest it is juice, it doesn't seem to work. i tell him it is OJ or grape juice, but as soon as it is not meeting his taste expectations, he spits or vomits it out.

Quote Originally Posted by geomum View Post
    Works like a charm in our household ;)
    chocolate cookies ain't working either. he is spitting out the cookie too!! that's why I am requesting assistance from veterans!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
    I'd like to ask a related question, if I may.

Our son is 7 months old, so I don't think he has reached the "intentionally making himself sick to bring up the meds" stage yet. But everytime when we feed him Calpol / paracetamol he would instantly throw up projectilely - something that he never does normally. It gets very frustrating as he would bring up his entire feed AND would continue to suffer as there's just no way to get any meds down him. Any tips?
    yes, i can relate to that. my son was demonstrating the same. hence the question.....sometimes the disguise with yogurt, apple, soups, chocolate cookie works, but a lot of the time it ain't working. maybe you and i should get together to exert peer pressure!!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    How old? My daughter was a bit of a booger between the ages of 1 and 2 - if we wanted her to have it bad enough, NOTHING else worked, we just had to force it in her mouth and hope that she swallowed some of it. SOME things we could dilute or mix with juice (but ask your doctor first because some things, such as some antibiotics, are unsuitable to do this) - but other medicines we couldn't, or the taste was too strong and she'd just reject the juice.

Now I think she likes the sweetness of it - she sometimes even asks for more!! She will happily take her medicine now with very little fuss. Maybe she just got tired of fighting us ;)

collsi is offline Registered User
    Hi,

I can relate to this - my daughter used to shut her mouth tight and spit everything back up from a very young age. It was a battle every time we tried to give her some medicine and the medicine very often ended up all over her if not on the floor. We tried everything and when it was really necessary to give her some medicine, cruel as it may sound, we sometimes managed to get her to swallow a little bit by forcing some into her mouth and holding her nose at the same time so that she had to swallow. (I know - I felt really awful and usually had to get her Dad to do this).
    If she just needed some Paracetamol then I used suppositories. On a trip home I discovered that this was the popular and sworn by method of many mums and they mainly used a brand called 'Paralink' so I stocked up and use them here. (I'm not sure if you can get that brand here but I'm guessing that you could get paracetamol suppositories??)
    Anyway also just to say that my daughter (14 months) has very recently (last 2 weeks) taken calpol from a spoon without much hesitation so I'm hoping that will go for other medicine as well when the time comes :)

I hope my comments may be of some use :)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast