Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Green pea allergy?

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Green pea allergy?

My 6 1/2 month old has started taking solid for a month already. So far he has baby rice, oatmeal, potato, carrot, sweet potato, pumpkin, broccoli, apple, pear and banana.

Today I bought a bag of frozen green peas and made a purée with it. I fed the baby a tablespoon of the green pea purée with a tablespoon of mashed potato for lunch. Later today I noticed that my baby was rubbing his eyes a lot (more than usual). His cheaks was already slightly red lately due to the weather, but then I noticed some rashes in more extended area and also around his mouth. Eyelids and fingers are also red.

At first I didn't relate it to the pea, cause I saw that green pea is a common stage 1 food for baby. I read that it is high in protein and nutrient, so I thought it was going to be a good choice. Then I searched on the Internet and it seems that green pea allergy is not that uncommon, as it may be related to peanuts?

Anyway, does anybody has experience with this kind of allergy? My baby is already on hydrocortisone due to eczema, so I hope the rashes will soon go away. So far there is no other sign than the itching and scratching. I guess I don't need to take him to the doctor and he dies not need to take any medication?

And about the allergy reaction.... When can I try to introduce legume to him again? Or does it mean that he should stay away from them forever?????
    Posted via Mobile Device

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

The same thing happened to my son when he was about 6 or 7 months too. It took me a while to figure out it was the peas. He is not so prone to excema, but his reaction was basically a rash all around his mouth, but he didn't appear to be in any discomfort. I can't remember exactly when I fed it to him again, but it was at least a few months later and might have been a small ingredient in a mixed veg jar, but for sure by about 1 year he was totally fine. With the little guys, it's not uncommon for them to appear allergic to some foods in the beginning. Their systems just need some desensitizing, which comes with time.
    You can experiment with other legumes to see the reaction, if he's not in any discomfort. I used to give a lot of tofu(the soft one and just mix it in with his other food) and egg white for protein.

Thanks Shenzhennifer for the reply. Due to the eczema, I was thinking about introducing meat a little bit later. I read that some baby may also have reaction to the protein found on soy, but for some reason, I didn't think anything about allergy when I read about the protein content of green peas.

Now I am waiting for the hives to clear up, and will continue with other veggies and fruit..... Probably cauliflower, papaya, melon...
    Posted via Mobile Device

supermother is offline Registered User

Probably he would suffer the other vegetables as well, need to avoid other vegetables that might cause allergy and treat rash. Once better, can do some allergy tests for food before adding back foods. For allergy testing, I know one allergy centre “Centre for Allergy and Asthma Care”.

Supermother, can you give me more information about where this centre is?

supermother is offline Registered User

Wish it helps.

Address:
    Suite 1428, Prince's Building, 10 Chater Road, Central, Hong Kong

Telephone:
    (852) 2818 0180

Thanks a lot, Supermother!