Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How much solid food for a 7 month old?

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    @1sttimemom. I give my baby a feed at around 6pm and his dinner an hour later, at around 7pm. He still get a feed before bed at around 9pm.

My baby still get breastfed every 3 hours, and in ocassion has a midnight feed at around 2am. He was 0 percentile weight by 6 month, so I let him feed whenever he wants. Also I am not planning to introduce meat till 1 or 2 months later due to his eczema, so in the meantime I am feeding him milk before his solid.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3Tower is offline Registered User
    Hi 1sttimemom,

We have a very similar routine with my 7 month old son. He has 4 bottles in one day total to about 28 oz. He also loves his solid food and on the 97 percentile for his weight and 90 for his height.

This is our schedule:
    8 AM - 8 oz bottle - he can always finish this as he doesnt get a feed since 7 PM the night before.
    9 AM - breakfast - rice cereal and fruit puree (about 50 ml) followed by a sippy cup of water
    11 AM - 6 oz bottle
    12 PM - lunch - a mixture of fruit and vegetables (about 100 ml) followed by a sippy cup of water
    3 PM - 6 oz bottle
    5 PM - dinner - veegetables (about 100 ml) followed by a sippy cup of water
    7 PM - 8 oz bottle.
    Bedtime before 8 PM.

I think the aim for now is for them to get use to feeding with the spoon and getting used to different flavours and textures. I plan to make his bottle intake 3x 8 oz a day when he is about 9-10 months old and increase the lunch of solids and introduce a snack meal in the afternoon before dinner.

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    You also need to bear in mind that babies need iron from 6 months or so onwards so adding protein is important too (fish, tofu, meat, cheese, eggs etc.). I think it also helps fill up hungry babies!

kakeo00 is offline Registered User
    hi, i saw u guys feeding quite often. i was wondering. 'cause i went to the nurse yesterday. she told me feeding every 3hrs is too much. my baby is 6mths + and weight is top of the line. not over weight yet.

she told me b/w 4hrs is good. and one solid food a day to replace 1 milk time. so only need 4 milk each day.
    but i never know if she is full or still hungry. as she dont cry or yell for food. and if i feed her, she just eat.
    for milk, she rejects even not finishing it. but i think she is not full just loads of water in the stomach.

it seems everyone is doing differently so i am still finding out what best for her.

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    kake00 you must do what is right for you and your baby, there's no magic formula that works for all babies and the nurse can give you advice but she doesn't know your baby.

I say this every time a mum brings this up on here but don't pay too much attention to the line/percentiles, it's just one tool to tell if your baby is happy and healthy and should be looked at alongside behaviour, happiness, sleep, development and feeding.

Solids should be introduced slowly alongside milk feeds, like anything your baby does it takes time for your baby's digestive system to mature to the point where she will start getting benefit from the solids. It takes months for them to learn to walk so we cannot expect their digestive system to go from getting all their nutrition from milk to getting it all from a solid meal in a few weeks.

Go with your instincts and what your baby needs.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    My 7 month old still feed every 3 hours, but he only takes like 4oz at a time.
    I guess for breastmilk, it is fine.. but not sure if he should increase the amount when combined feeding, as he will be drinking formula as well (I just started working, and I am expressing milk just two times a day).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12