Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

My Experience at Princess Margaret Hospital

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

My Experience at Princess Margaret Hospital

Hi, I just thought I would write a bit about my time at PMH last week.
    Overall, I would say that the experience was quite positive.

1. I was admitted 1 day before my scheduled c-section. I was determined to go home that night though. When I went in, I got some PJs and a bed in the antenatal ward and stayed there from 8am-5pm. I had blood taken, talked with an extremely sweet doctor about the procedure, talked with the anestesiologist about my options, and got a general briefing about all things hospital. And I relaxed, took a nap and read my book. I had no trouble whatsoever getting home leave.

2. I went back the following morning at 8am. I was second in line for the surgery provided there were no emergencies. At 10am I got the catherter(spent the rest of the time in great discomfort) and around 11am they wheeled me down to the birthing floor which also had the operating theatre. The care was really great all around, by all players. Very thorough and systematic. The operating room team was really great too. The senior anestesiologist was really likeable and skilled, and seemed to be training and junior or trainee one. Likewise, my doctor, a Dr. Fong (tall woman, cheerful) seemed to have a trainee under her assisting with the surgery.

3. I had a one-shot spinal block, which I was scared about since they only last an hour or so, and if it doesnt work they can't readminister and have to give you general. But it was great, the needle must be much smaller than an epidural as I didnt feel it go into my spine. The pain relief was immense - I felt better than I had in years! The operation was extremely smooth, I hardly felt any pulling or pushing. No one talked, they just concentrated, and the senior anest. gave me a bit of commentary as to what was happening. My baby came out at 12pm, crying on her own and was taken to the table for cleaning. The stitching up also was great, as I didn't feel a thing. I highly recommend the spinal block over the epidural for pain relief. Wow.

4. One of the best things was that they arranged to let the baby come into the recovery area with me to breastfeed. I said that was really important to me and they make special arrangements, as it sounded like a bit of a no-no there. My baby stayed with me the whole time and practiced sucking for about 45 minutes. It was great. Until the pain set in, but that's a whole other story:)

5. I was then taken up to the ward. They wards are much nicer than I had envisioned based on what people said. Most rooms had 8 beds and the space was ample (comparable to larger bed rooms in some private hospitals). I had my baby brought to me right away though I had to ask and tell them I wanted her to stay with me always. A couple of times they took her away at my request (in the night) and just brought her to me when she needed a feed. Actually, they were(one nurse in particular) a bit too forceful about my BFing her every 2-3 hrs even when she was sleeping (she was less than 18 hrs old), which I found a bit annoying, but... But most of the time she was next to my bed and I just had help picking her up and putting her down for feeds. They changed the diapers for the first day or so before I was able to. They were also very good with not trying to offer formula or glucose water and were quite happy with my choice to exclusively breastfeed.

6. The first day was rough, of course, but the care was really good and again, systematic. I asked for pain relief and since I was breastfeeding, I got pethedine injections every 4-6 hrs (they would come around and ask if I wanted another one for the first 24 hrs, after that, it was regular rounds of panadol) Round the clock comprehensive care (someone came to change my mat pad and clean me at 3am!) for the first 24 hrs, then it became less and less as I became more mobile, which was fine.

7. I was discharged 72 hours after my operation. I was quite happy to go home, because even though I was pleasantly surprised and pleased with the care, it was hard to sleep in the wards. There were a lot of crying babies, some incessantly crying), and even earplugs didn't block it out. Plus, they keep some lights on during the night and seem to insist that your curtain is open (until I told one nurse that I wanted privacy), and some staff still talk at night. Then they get up very early and start their schedules. So it was tiring to stay there, but it was nice to have the extra support.

8. Food. Honestly, I don't know what everyone is so fussed about. I enjoyed all the food I got. Unfortunately, after a c-section, you are basically starved for 2 days, but the day before's meal, and the ones when I could eat again were all ok. Rice with one green veg (though a little bland but still fresh) and one meat dish or curry. Yum.

So, overall, my experience and impression was quite good. I was so scared going in, based on my experience with antenatal care and the doctors I spoke with, but I guess I just had some bad luck. The medical officers and staff in the hospital were efficient, thorough, systematic and skilled. Bedside manners varied, but that's normal. They took great care of me and my baby, now 5 days old. oh, and final bill - $450.
    Thanks for reading:)

carang is offline Registered User

CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm glad to hear that your experience was so similar to mine at QMH. I'm also glad it wasn't the horror you were expecting.

ps> the food at QMH is disgusting! everything comes is some kind of slimy sauce... and once, they served sweet & sour hot dogs! ick! thank goodness for sohodelivers!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

I'm so glad that your experience was good overall!! I was waiting to hear what it was like, I know your antenatal care wasn't all great!!

I actually think that a lot of the food/ward situations are (possibly) better at the other public hospitals than they are at QMH. Although it is similarly loud at QMH - I couldn't sleep there hardly at all with either delivery and was itching to get home. But yet, the food at QMH is monochromatic and disgusting!

And congratulations on the birth of your little one, by the way!

AmyH is offline Registered User

Congratulations! I'm glad everything worked out for you!

Thanks, guys:)
    Hey, maybe PMH has got a good crew in their kitchen, who knows?

Another praise for the public system: today I took my baby to her 1week check up at the MCHC. While I was there, I had a session with their lactation nurse, as I have been having some problems with getting a good latch. She was really awesome and very hands on and showed me the pain free way right away. She showed me a few other things and I will see her again in a week. All for freeeeeeee:)

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User

Congratulations, I remember you posting to say you had a faint line... seems like yesterday!

carey is offline Registered User

Great to hear that it was a positive expereince. Your post also helps me to have an idea of what to do since I also want to bf asap after a c-section.

jvn, haha, you remember that? Yes, I guess it wasn't so 'faint' after all:)
    Carey, my milk came in within 2 days this time. Shorter than last time when my body went into labour naturally. I was really pleased when they allowed my baby to start suckling right away. The little thing spent about 45 minutes exploring and suckling. I believe it really made a difference.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast