Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recent Miscarriage and D&C

librabest is offline Registered User

Recent Miscarriage and D&C

Hi everyone,

I have found a lot of helpful information and advice on this site, so just wanted to share my recent experience in case I may be able to help others.

I have been pregnant twice in the last 8 months and miscarried the first time at 7 weeks and the second time at 10 weeks. It was especially tough this second time around because we were told that the first miscarriage was just an unlucky one, where it just happened to be a bad egg or sperm. Plus this time we had seen not only the heartbeat but also the baby's arms and legs, which made the experience all the more heartbreaking.

Although I was prescribed Cytotec and Methergin for the first missed miscarriage, the doctor suggested that I have a D&C this second time around since 1) I was farther along and it would be a more painful miscarriage, and 2) since my husband and I are both quite young, they wanted to test the fetus to see why I've had 2 consecutive miscarriages.

The D&C was performed at Matilda Hospital and was pretty quick and easy. We checked in at noon, had my blood taken, pressure checked etc. and at promptly 2pm was rolled into the OR for a 30 minute surgery. The surgery was performed under general anasthesia so I was completely unaware and woke up half an hour later in the recovery room. The nurses wheeled me back to my room, whereby as long as my pressure was up to normal levels, I could eat and I could pass urine, then we were free to leave~ so basically we were home by 6pm.

Besides right after the surgery when I bled a lot, I haven't had much blood in the past week and have not been in pain at all, so I'm hoping that's just a sign that the doctor did a good job in clearing everything. He told us that we should wait for one period cycle (as well as the fetus test results in 4-6 weeks) before trying again.

So here's hoping that we can find some answers and carry through a successful pregnancy the next time around.... We are considering visiting a Chinese medicine practitioner to "regulate" our bodies and get our health in check before trying again. At this point, we are willing to cover all bases and try anything.

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

Even though i know it is really distressing to have 2 miscarriages in a row, especially after having seen the heartbeat etc unfortunately it is also all to common, regardless of age. (It has happened to me twice) So just be prepared that they may find no reason and you were just unlucky both times; which i think in some ways is a harder result as you feel as if there is nothing you can do to influence the outcome. Chinese medicine is a good idea, as is reviewing your lifestyle to ensure optimum health.

But it also doesn't mean that you can't have a normal healthy pregnancy - i have two gorgeous children, each after 2 previous miscarriages. Good luck with your test results and I really hope you have success next time round.

Thanks TNT for your encouragement. May I ask how long after your miscarriages did you have your kids?
    Posted via Mobile Device

Frenchy is offline Registered User

Thank you for sharing your story. I've been through the same, apart for the D&C as I've always had natural miscarriages (5 in total, last at 10 weeks too). Beside that, I have two beautiful children.
    The fact is that I was the one unable to hold the foetus because of coagulation troubles. I had to have a treatment right from the beginning of the pregnancy and during it all, and that's how I managed to keep my babies.
    If nothing is found in the foetuses, make sure you don't carry antibodies, that your uterus has a good shape, or that you have no problem with coagulation.
    Good luck to you, no doubt you'll succeed !

taysty is offline Registered User

I had a miscarriage before too. There's no reason sometimes though I had to say those were one of my darkest period. I am so cautious that i didn't swim or exercise at all and indulge myself in all good food to make myself feel better.

But please do not be like me as now after my 1st baby born 4 months ago I now still look like 6 months pregnant. :(

If it makes you feel better and taking those bitter CM is okay for you then go for it. I also see a CM dr after I miscarriage as my friends told me to recharge those energy that i lost.

Good luck! You'll get there!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Thank you girls for sharing your experiences. I'm happy to hear that despite your heartbreaks you all have become mommies :)

Frenchy, thanks for the tip- I'll be sure to ask my dr about getting checked for all these issues.

Taysty, I was so cautious during these 2 pregnancies too, and keep wondering was it something I did/ didn't do that might have caused the losses... But I guess it doesn't do good to dwell on that and just hope for success next time!
    Posted via Mobile Device

taysty is offline Registered User

During my 2nd pregnancy my OB gives me enough confident so I slowly take things easy and I just tell myself if it's gonna happen it's gonna happen anyway. Remember to tell yourself, happy mummy means happy baby. I even went holiday after my 1st trimester.

I know it's harder than said but it can be done just don't think about it and be confident as both you and hubby still young.

Oh, I did IUI in the end as I don't ovulate each month hence harder to get pregnant.
    Posted via Mobile Device

TNT
    TNT is offline Banned

Hi Librabest, I got pregnant with my first child straight after my 2nd miscarriage - no cycle in between. It was natural though, didn't have a D&C. The 2 miscarriages before her were 5 months apart. With my 2nd I was pregnant3 months after my last miscarriage, those were also 5 months apart, but like you I was 10 weeks with the 4th one, so it only took one cycle after the 3rd miscarriage and then I was pregnant again. Actually that was a missed miscarriage, the foetus had died at 6 weeks, but we were living in the UK at the time and despite my history I had no ultrasounds at all until I started bleeding. It was defintely the most painful, with early labourlike pains. I only had a D& C for the 3rd one as we were due to fly to the UK to live the day it happened and so we couldn't wait for it all to happen naturally. Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if you would like any other info.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast