Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Visitor's Visa for Helper to Canada - Recent Experience?

Portia is offline Registered User

Visitor's Visa for Helper to Canada - Recent Experience?

I sent my helper to the Canadian Consulate yesterday to get her visitor's visa for our upcoming trip to Canada. My helper says that she was told to check her email for when to collect the visa as they didn't know when it would be ready. Has anyone else experienced this recently? How long do you have to wait?

We have applied at least 5 times before over the past 3 years, but the procedure has previously been to submit the application in the morning and collect the approved visa in the afternoon. Has the procedure changed?

Just in case anyone else is applying for a visa to Canada. I have now heard back from the Consulate. It basically takes 2 days now after receipt of the complete package and assuming there are no problems. We submitted the application on Monday morning and can pick it up on Weds afternoon. They contacted us by email to let us know when it would be ready for collection.

cadogan is offline Registered User
    Hi Portia
    Quick question - i am planning on taking the family skiing in canada at Christmas and it's just dawning on me that might be useful to take our helper - can i ask what is the procedure for getting them visas and is it fairly straightforward? (if it's a big old hassle then might well sway me against taking her since flights are pretty pricey anyway, but if relatively low effort i will definitely consider it!).
    Any pointers you can give gratefully received!
    Thanks

It definitely is useful to take your helper when you're going skiing. That's why we are taking ours :) They only take babies in the childcare program from 18 months at Whistler and even if they are old enough it's around C$100 per day which soon adds up. Also, really helps to have some help as everyone is jet lagged!

The visa is straightforward - a little time consuming, but nothing complicated. Details for bringing your helper are here: http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca...fs/trv-app.pdf. Just make sure your supporting letter covers all the issues mentioned. The forms are here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...tions/visa.asp. One tip - make sure there are no gaps in the employment history. For any periods when she was not working make sure it is on the form as "not employed" as there must be no time gaps in the employment history. I get my helper to fill out the forms in draft and then I check and type up the application. Make sure you supply an email address (I just supply mine) in case more info is needed or to let you know when to pick up the visa.

Sometimes you can get the visa the same day (I suppose if they are not too busy), but it could take a few days like my last experience.

Thanks so much Portia - that is very useful. Sounds as though you've skied with children in whistler before - do you have views on which ski school and creche is best...i'm looking at a huge stack of property rentals and don't really know where to start focusing my search! We will have 4 children all about 5/6 in age who have each skied a bit before but probably need to be treated as total beginners for the first couple of days as they have all skipped a season this year so will need refreshing (hence some supposedly ski in/out properties may not work for them if it's a tricky slope etc), plus the little one who will be 2.5 (so old enough for daycare and even with a helper i probably would put him into daycare just to give him some variety). I think my options are whistler base, blackcomb base or creekside but getting confused and hoping to find the easiest solution for everyone.......!!!!

I prefer Blackcomb base as the Upper Village is quieter and more family oriented. For me, Creekside is too far away and Whistler base is too noisy with all the clubs and restaurants in the Village. Happy to chat with you about the different properties and will PM you later.

that would be great if you could give me some pointers - have a few places that look promising but no real understanding of how convenient they really are - and of course what works for a decent skier is not the same as for little kids and babies.....