Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Helper gone missing

kathyh is offline Registered User

HI Nikkig - No I don't know if something had happened to her and that's why I am having a pretty hard time wondering about her safety. Precisely the question I asked the Police when I reported her disappearance on the same night, they said 'If something eg accident had happened to her, the hospital would have contacted the Police and they would have contacted me within the very few hours soonafter.'
    So, when Emma had left at 2pm on Monday and I made the report to the Police at 11pm, I would have been informed by then.
    I was told that, since Emma is not a minor (she's 34 year old) she is big enough to take care of herself.
    Emma was supposedly going to the Philippines Consulate to renew her passport on that day.
    It's been few days now, and the Philippines Consulate are still checking on her whereabouts - I did ask if she had left the country? with someone possibly????

HI elle - Emma did NOT clear most of her belongings, in fact I think, she had only brought a few things with her (eg documents, photos of her 4 kids, her extra handbags and few personal stuff) she have left behind 2 suitcases of clothes in the room.
    What I find this whole thing odd is that, she had left behind a beautiful walking shoes for her daughter (upon daughter's request) and some Hello Kitty's hair clips together in it, of which she was so proud and couldn't wait to send it to her daughter later - she didn't bring it with her!
    It's as if - she didn't intend to leave but the fact that, the important personal stuff are gone and she had gone.
    She even left behind her leather jacket and leather shoes that she loves. She didn't wear much that day when she left- the usual - just a handbag.
    So my guess is that, when I was out of the country for few days during the Chinese New Year, she had already taken out the important stuff to a friend .... but also, she could have taken out all the clothes during that time but she didn't. Anyway, I wouldn't know it until I checked her room as I don't usually go to her room.
    Still a mystery to me!
    Like the Ph Consulates said - she's an adult and she should be responsible for her ownself. Yes I know that, but I've treated her like a family and I like to know that she is safe.

Gracey is offline Registered User

KathyH -- I have no constructive advice to give here. But just to say, you are one kind soul.

Gracey, very kind of you for saying that but I am not perfect either.
    Treating her nice was merely to show my gratitude for her service and hoped that she would put her heart onto her job. You see - Emma was molested by her father at a very young age and then sent away to the countryside. Later, at a very young age, she married a bump and had four kids. She probably had never felt love before - so, I feel very sorry for her childhood. I gave her extra money on top of her salary just as a 'motivation gesture' but I guessed, she didn't know how to be thankful. On top of that, she still owes me HKD 8,518 because she bought a laptop for her kids so that they can communicate on a daily basis - that was partly my fault too bec I encouraged it.
    I really think that she had met a guy few months ago (after observing many things about her) and had ran away with him, knowing that I wouldn't approved of it given her circumstances - it's not unusual apparently after having shared this with many people.

However, this has taught me to be more cautious with helpers from now on - after all, we let them in into our home and they can 'ransack' our things when we are out. Thing is, I've had employed many helpers during my 24 years in
    HK and I've never felt so insecure and violated as I have experienced this time. She knows so much about my family but I don't even have her contact in Phillipines!
    Feeling stupid this time round but certainly not next.
    I hope my experience will also help others to know and be vigilant as to whom we hire into our HOME.! Scary!!

babymalaki is offline Registered User

Hi kathyh,
    Shall you need a new helper, please PM. Thanks.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123