Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Another BCG vaccination/immunsation question, advice?

sea princess is offline Registered User

Another BCG vaccination/immunsation question, advice?

I recently declined for my newborn the BCG vaccine given at birth. I wanted to visit my pediatrician and discuss it in more detail. Since then, I took my older child to the GP for an appointment (who incidently was not born in HK and hasnt had the vaccine), I mentioned to my GP I was undecided on giving BCG to my newborn. The GP then began to tell me how there is much conflicting opinions as to it's effectiveness and that most Australian doctors working in HK do not advocate the vaccine here? I understand the vaccine's effectiveness reduces as you age but is there more to this?

Are there people who have decided not to vaccinate their newborn with BCG living in HK? Is there a good pediatrician you would recommend that is open minded and willing to talk about the effectiveness of the vaccine?

Thanks

Papaya is offline Registered User

Yes sure there are people in HK who do not vaccinate at all, like everywhere else. There are some good books and websites that have information on from this point of you. "What doctors don't tell you" is one of the websites.

In HK, I have not found a doctor that advocates against full vaccination, but when you tell them that you are not going that route, there are some that are more understanding. Many alternative medicine practitioners are against vaccinations, especially homeopaths and osteopaths as they treat the side effects vaccinations can cause. Several practitioners at IMI will support the choice of not vaccinating, and Dr. Yuan at Optimal Health is a strong advocate against all vaccinations. His clinic has several books on the topic. But yes, be prepared for a lot of criticism and challenges if you go this route, both among doctors and on this website!

sea princess is offline Registered User

bcg

Thanks for the response papaya. I have been doing some reading on it to try and explore why there's medical conflict on the vaccine and have come across some interesting literature so far, so that's helpful. Will keep reading!

HappyV is offline Registered User

Just be sure that you look at the 'science' - not the anecdotal stories that tend to get presented as evidence. YOu may also wish to take note of a few recent developments in the vaccine debate:
    1. The original UK study that started the whole 'To vac or not to vac' questions has been completely discredited. You will notice that those on the net who voraciously referenced this study at every opportunity have gone very quiet on this issue.
    2. A 14 day old Australian baby recently died from whooping cough. The growing incidence of this disease has been directly related to dropping immunisation levels.
    3. We live across the border from China. Have you spend much time there?
    4. Measels is on the rise in the UK - again, due to dropping vaccine rates.

As the mother of an autistic child, I can tell you that in three years of dealing with various SEN groups in HK that I have never come across a parent who thinks that their child's issues are related to a vaccine.

By all means, make your own decision, but don't discount the more heavily evidenced arguments in favour of those that really on pseudo-science.

megan2008 is offline Registered User

My daughter got the BCG shot here and when I saw the pediatrician back in the states about it, they said that they don't give it in the states because tuberculosis is not common and it isn't necessary to vaccinate against. Hope that helps.

carang is offline Registered User

BUT you don't live in the US... you live in HONG KONG.... just across from CHINA... TB IS very common in both places!

perhaps if i lived in canada, i wouldn't have gotten that vaccine for my kids, but i don't live there. i live HERE, where it IS prevalent, where my kids ARE likely to encounter it.... so, my kids are vaccinated.

please be aware, TUBERCULOSIS IS COMMON IN HK AND IN CHINA! do NOT base your decision on whether it is common in your home country. you are NOT LIVING in your home country!

AmyH is offline Registered User

Completely agree with Cara on this one. My daughter was born here and got the BCG when she was born. My son was born in UK and had not got it, but I took him to the paediatrician, who did a test to see if he was immune to it, he wasn't so we got his done when he was 5.

Honkyblues is offline Registered User

My helper in Singapore had TB - we didn't find this out until we terminated her when I was 7 mths pregnant (it was only when she did her medical for her next employer that is was discovered). Boy, did we have a lucky escape there!

Just yesterday I heard from a friend in Singapore that a friend of hers there had found out their helper had TB. They were not allowed to terminate her (can't terminate for medical reasons). So she had to stay with them while she had 6 mths of treatment. Their 3-yr-old daughter ended up catching TB (the early variety, called "latent TB", which still requires lots of drug treatment) and now the husband has latent TB as well. He can't be treated as he has a medical issue that means he can't take the anti-TB drugs. They just have to hope it doesn't develop fully.

So, yes, if you're living in Asia, I would recommend you get your children vaccinated against TB. If you have a helper, you have someone in your house from a country with a very high TB incidence. Doesn't matter if your helper passes her medical. She can develop the disease at any time. And then so can your children.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast