Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: My concern level with HK air pollution is....

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • RED-I am alarmed and this may affect my length of stay here

14 63.64%
  • ORANGE-I'm scared but it's too soon to say whether this will affect my length of stay here

1 4.55%
  • YELLOW-I'm watching cautiously but am not too upset at the moment

6 27.27%
  • GREEN-This is the way it is and I'm cool with it

1 4.55%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Not Your Imagination: HK Air Pollution Going Up EXPONENTIALLY--Chart

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Another "fun fact":

Hong Kong's air pollution is costing the city at least $11 billion HKD/annually. Any ideas for how we could better spend that money?

My vote is more green space and public parks for our children to play on...but that's just me.

The Real Pollution Index ticker on this page is also helpful:

http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/c...eal-index/main

At the time of posting out here in Yuen Long, the RSP has exceeded WHO acceptable levels:

Yuen Long
    1 air pollutant(s) have exceeded the WHO standards
    Respirable Suspended Particulates (1.48 times WHO levels)
    The observed human health effects of RSP include breathing and respiratory symptoms (such as shortness of breath, coughing and wheezing), aggravation of existing respiratory disease and damage to lung tissues.
    Guess since it's only 1.5 times higher than the WHO levels we're having a good day here in the NT.

Here you can find chart levels for major pollutants in all districts in HK that are updated (hourly, I think):

http://www.greenpeace.org/eastasia/c...ndex/bar-chart
    Last edited by thanka2; 02-11-2011 at 03:50 PM.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

Quote Originally Posted by penguinsix View Post
    I created a site to compare the air quality here vs. the air quality monitoring standards in other countries.

http://www.theairyoubreathe.com/

Basically if you are coming from Australia or France, under their systems we are at the highest air quality warning systems pretty much every day.

And just for a bit of a visual, I replaced the filters in my air cleaners last night. Here is what 4 months of use looks like vs. a new filter, and this is in a room that is kept quite clean.

Wow. Great website, BTW. What motivated you to make it?
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by taysty View Post
    @ Thanka

So now you're living in HK Island East with the in-laws? That's pretty near me. :) I'm at the far end of east. I like it here too especially if i see blue skies and eagles gilding. :)

Wonder when your baby is coming? I'm getting excited for you as you're always posting. :P
    I used to live in Shau Kei Wan with my parents-in-law in 2007 but since the end of that year I've been living out here in the New Territories. Over Christmas and New Year I visited them quite a lot as my son spends a bit of time with them each week. I was surprised at how much better my lungs (and eyes and skin) felt after only a couple of days at their house.

My due date is on March 17, St. Patrick's Day so feel free to bring me a green beer or something in the hospital. He he he! I've posted a lot of stuff lately as I'm really gearing up for the birth right now and I had a significant amount of days off for CNY so I had time to do research and I really like to share things here that I personally find helpful or interesting. Are you also pregnant?

Mother of Two

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by thanka2 View Post
    Wow. Great website, BTW. What motivated you to make it?
    I created http://www.theairyoubreathe.com/ mainly because I was bored. Eventually I'll do something more with it I just have too much else going on right now to clean it up and make it look pretty.

Koan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    I don't think that's "scientifically true".
    Of course not, it was a hyperbole.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    As a chemist, I do think that the pollution levels, while they ARE high, are not as "awful" as a lot of people make them out to be. Yes it's not ideal, but this whole "the pollution kills x people?" I think it's baloney. I'm with the government on this one - look at the FACTS, Hong Kong has a high life expectancy - ie, it's NOT going to shorten your life by living here. Hong Kong does NOT have a higher rate of respiratory diseases that are associated with airborne particles such as asthma. I don't know the comparison between Hong Kong and every other country, but I do know for sure that it is BETTER than Australia. So I think that it is a FACT that the air here is BETTER for you than the air in Australia.

There's so much hogwash and scare tactics going around these days - and while I think that the pollution levels are not ideal and I too would love to see them go down, I don't think it's anything to freak out about and I think it's ludicrous to make it out to be worse than what it is. As a chemist, I was exposed to a lot worse things and at higher concentrations on a daily basis - and it's just "acceptable risk". The relatively small amounts in the environment honestly don't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by Koan View Post
    Of course not, it was a hyperbole.
    He he he. My thoughts exactly when I read that comment. Also saying, "The air is so thick you can chew it" is probably not very "scientifically true" but it does very well describe HK air on some days, I think.

Mother of Two

Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    As a chemist, I do think that the pollution levels, while they ARE high, are not as "awful" as a lot of people make them out to be. Yes it's not ideal, but this whole "the pollution kills x people?" I think it's baloney. I'm with the government on this one - look at the FACTS, Hong Kong has a high life expectancy - ie, it's NOT going to shorten your life by living here. Hong Kong does NOT have a higher rate of respiratory diseases that are associated with airborne particles such as asthma. I don't know the comparison between Hong Kong and every other country, but I do know for sure that it is BETTER than Australia. So I think that it is a FACT that the air here is BETTER for you than the air in Australia.

There's so much hogwash and scare tactics going around these days - and while I think that the pollution levels are not ideal and I too would love to see them go down, I don't think it's anything to freak out about and I think it's ludicrous to make it out to be worse than what it is. As a chemist, I was exposed to a lot worse things and at higher concentrations on a daily basis - and it's just "acceptable risk". The relatively small amounts in the environment honestly don't bother me.
    Hmmm...I wonder what the scientists over at Chinese University who track the numbers of deaths due to poor air quality would have to say.

Mother of Two

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast