Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Registering at a public hospital

Koan is offline Registered User

Registering at a public hospital

I tried to register at POW today. They wouldn't let me because I don't live in the area. I had my son there 3 years ago but that doesn't matter, they no longer have any "quota" for out of area registrations. There are no beds. They are full. I'm only 7 weeks so there's no way they're full.

I asked about turning up when I'm in labour. Nurse shrugged. I asked would I get a bed. She said I would have to go to the ER.

Any suggestions on getting around this? There is no way I will deliver at my local hospital.

Has anyone turned up in labour at a non-local hospital in labour? How did it go?

AmyH is offline Registered User

I went to a private OB and got a referral letter for Prince of Wales hospital, even though I was in the Tuen Mun area. They accepted this with no questions asked so maybe this could be an option for you.

I had one. It didn't specify POW, but my dr knows I prefer POW and told me to try and register there anyway.

How long ago did you register?

I'm going to call the POW PRO tomorrow and ask more.

It was 2009. the letter explained that I had a difficult first pregnancy and preferred to be at a teaching hospital in case of complications and it worked fine. Good luck.

OK. That is certainly true for me, too. I will talk to my dr about it. Thanks for your advice!

happiness is offline Registered User

I've just found out I'm pregnant(5 weeks) and am new to Hong Kong. My first time so am totally clueless!! Do I need to go to a local doctor and get referred to POW(live near the hospital) or do I go there directly.???....thank you :)

Hi Happiness,

You need to go to a doctor to get your pregnancy confirmed. They will give you a letter of confirmation, you then just go to the hospital in your area with the letter, your HK ID card, your husband's card (if I remember correctly) and proof of adress. You will then be registered at the hospital and they will schedule all of you appointments for you.

Good luck!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

You can just call your local MCHC and they will schedule your first appointment (10-11 wks), and tell you to bring all the stuff mentioned above. Then you will automatically be register at your area local hospital formwhe you go to your first check up there(around 16 wks).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast