Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Milk went bad... too much lipase?

seattleite is offline Registered User

I don't know if this book is sold around hong kong, but it is available online. I found it immensely helpful when I didn't have any support or resources for breastfeeding when I had my first child in the Middle East.

As for the scalding, you only want to do this if your breastmilk has excessive lipase-- there is no need to scald if your milk doesn't change taste or smell after storing for a day or two. You just want to scald the milk in a saucepan or something on the stove, then quickly cool it and store it. It doesn't take away all the nutrients of the breastmilk, but it does kill some of the enzymes that will make stored milk seem bad-smelling. Even if your milk has too much lipase, you don't need to scald it if your baby will drink it as is.

rani is offline Administrator
    Last edited by rani; 02-15-2011 at 03:27 PM.

taysty is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by seattleite View Post
    I don't know if this book is sold around hong kong, but it is available online. I found it immensely helpful when I didn't have any support or resources for breastfeeding when I had my first child in the Middle East.

As for the scalding, you only want to do this if your breastmilk has excessive lipase-- there is no need to scald if your milk doesn't change taste or smell after storing for a day or two. You just want to scald the milk in a saucepan or something on the stove, then quickly cool it and store it. It doesn't take away all the nutrients of the breastmilk, but it does kill some of the enzymes that will make stored milk seem bad-smelling. Even if your milk has too much lipase, you don't need to scald it if your baby will drink it as is.
    My baby doesnt like to drink breastmilk too much these days (she's bottle fed). I wonder if its becoz my milk got too much lipase or becoz i change my diet.

Anyway, you'll right, i'll give it a few try to see if she's willing to take it.

seattleite is offline Registered User

Yes rani, that's the book. They must've updated it because mine was a pink cover (I've since given it away) but that's the right book.

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

One thing to remember about high lipese is that it happened in the freezer too. The milk can be fine when you put it in the freezer but keeping it a long time can cause the milk to go rancid.

It is quite rare for the milk to turn rancid within a few days but if you are storing it for weeks it has much more chance of this happening.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12