Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Milk went bad... too much lipase?

Gataloca is offline Registered User

Milk went bad... too much lipase?

I have some bags of frozen milk that I froze several weeks ago. Today I went back to work, and as my helper is not here yet, my hubby took 2 weeks to take care of the baby.

He defrosted some bags of milk, and said that they were bad.... So didn't know what went wrong, as I usually freeze the milk as soon as I express it (Although there was a time that I kept the milk on the fridge just in case, and froze it on the next time if I didn't need it that day).....

Anyway, I don't have many bags of milk, and don't know if they are all rancid... But I was planning to express at work so my baby could still have breastmilk during the day when I am gone. I searched on the web, and it seems that it happens when there is too much lipase on the milk, and scalding might be a solution.... but the problem is that if I pump at work, by the time I get home the milk might have already gone sour.

... any idea? or should I better start buying formula???

taysty is offline Registered User
    Sorry to sabotage this thread, i want to know if those milk i keep in the fridge, can i pour it into those bags and put it in freezer, that is, from chilled become frozen. Will the breastmilk turn bad? But i dont want to pour so many breastmilk down the drain. I worked very hard for it. :(

I think you can... or at least that was what I thought.... There was a time that I pumped at midnight and early morning, and kept the milk on the fridge just in case my boy didn't get enough at night (when my supply used to run low). And when I didn't need it, I put it on a bag and freeze it. Supposedly milk can be keep on the refrigerator for 8 days, so I thought that if I kept it for 1 day and then freeze it, it would still be good... but probably is some problem with my milk.

Hope someone out there can give some info or experience. I can't find anything on the net that tell me if I'm allow to do this. :(
    Posted via Mobile Device

jvn
    jvn is offline Registered User
    With the lipase, if that is the problem then I believe you don't need to do anything as long as the baby will still drink it. It's not actually bad, it just looks and smells wrong so if the baby will still drink it then it should be fine. If the baby won't drink it then scalding is the way to go.

I just pumped some milk from work, and tasted it went I got home before I put it in the freezer. Will see how it turns out. I have frozen milk before, and they were fine after defrosting. Hopefully the rest of the milk are fine.

I asked my hubby if the milk smelled rancid, and he said that just smelled like "plastic" and that the baby didn't want to drink it. But I am not sure if the baby refused because of that, or because he wasn't hungry or was just upset because I wasn't around.
    Posted via Mobile Device

seattleite is offline Registered User
    To taysty- yes, your milk is fine if goes from refrigerator to freezer. You could even have the milk in the fridge for a few days before transferring it to the freezer.

Regarding too much lipase in the milk-- it is highly unlikely that your milk has gone bad if it has always been in the fridge or freezer. But, it could have a changed taste which your baby may not like. With my first child, she was highly sensitive to the different taste and would not drink stored milk. But if I fed her freshly expressed milk from a bottle, she drank it (I did an experiment because at first I didn't know about the lipase issue).

With my second child, he was not so picky and drank stored milk, but maybe I didn't have the lipase issue because it didn't have the "smell" or "taste" that I remembered from my first breastfeeding experience.

But anyway, you could try the scalding method since I've heard it works-- I tried it once but I probably didn't do it right since I didn't think it helped, so I didn't continue with it.

BTW, there's a really good breastfeeding book out there called "Breastfeeding Made Simple" by Nancy Mohrbacher. It tells you all the things you can do with storing milk (amongst many other helpful things).

@ seattleite

Thank you for your advice. I will store my excess milk in the fridge into the freezer.

How do this scalding thing work?

The book you refer to sell in bumps to babes or ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast