Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How do you "adjust" awake times between naps?

1sttimemom is offline Registered User

How do you "adjust" awake times between naps?

My 7.5 month old sleeps from 7pm to approx 6/630am. During the day she naps anywhere from 1.5 - 3 hrs. It doesn't really matter if she's had a 1/2 hour nap or a 1.5 hr nap, she still insists on spending 2hr45min-3hr awake.

Our "habit" has become the following: If she is having a short nap day, I will usually be able to get her to have three 1/2 hr naps. Even if her last nap goes a bit past 530pm, I will still be able to get her into bed and have her fall asleep easily by about 7.

BUT if she is having a long nap day, she takes 2 naps only, the 2nd one ending at about 3pm and from there on... she will NOT nap. This means she spends nearly 4 hrs awake before bedtime.... I am still tracking patterns, but I generally get more night wakings, and I'm guessing it's because she's not well-rested enough during the day.

How do you all adjust your baby's awake times when needed?

aussie mum is offline Registered User
    My 7 month old is similar but with 2-2.5hr awake time. If he's having a long nap kind of day there is very little I can do to get him to have a 3rd nap so on those days I put him to bed by 6.15/6.30pm so he isn't too overtired.
    Posted via Mobile Device

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    to be honest i am not overly concerned about her "awake times" during the day, as long as she gets a good 10hrs sleep during the night straight. if your little one is tired, you will see the signs (eye rubbing is typical) and then you can use your normal bedtime routine to put them in for a nap.

today my little one only had one 2.5hour nap from 11:30-1pm and won't sleep again because she wanted to play with her sister...but she still slept at the same time tonight- i thought she would have slept earlier, but there were no "signs" as such.

the number of naps should decrease as the grow...if there is night waking - could it be because she is hungry or perhaps the wind is too noisy and wakes up unexpectedly? mine one did that a couple nights last week, and luckily for me the pacifier worked miracles for us - i didn't want to go back to do the night feedings so I made sure the next day she ate more solids.

oi0io is offline Registered User
    If my son missed a nap in the afternoon, I'll just tuck him in bed alittle earlier that night. You don't to over tired them out.

Just read their cues.

1sttimemom is offline Registered User
    I try to read her signs, but rarely does she give me signs. Often, the minute I bring her into the room and close the curtains..she will start yawning and rubbing her eyes. This is why I often have to put her down for a nap, even if I am not sure how tired she is. She can often just keeping "chugging" along ...

steamedfish is offline Registered User
    i do whatever i can do make sure they sleep at night. i find the circadian rhythms in babies interesting.