Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Kota Kinabalu

piper is offline Registered User

Kota Kinabalu

I just bought plane tkts for us (DH+2yr old) to go fly HK-KK, I know this question was answered and it seems like the place to go in KK is Shangri-La Tanjung /aru or Rasa Ria.
    And then LanKwai...if that's where we would like to go. How do we get there from KK, where to stay? Are there any other places to go to from KK? Its seems KK is "very city".

Thanks for all your help and tips.

Thanks,
    Piper

I should also add that we are in KK for 1 week, all your help would be very appreciated. Thanks.

CFM
    CFM is offline Registered User
    My husband, 9 month old daughter and I are going for 4 days next week so I could give you some feedback after that! We haven't been to KK for 15 years so I'm expecting a bit of change!
    Depending when you are going, I know that Tanjung Aru is renovating their pool and playground area so you may want to check that out. W are staying at Sutera Harbour Magellan, mainly because it is near the city so we can wander and eat at different places.
    Do you mean Langkawi? That is a long way from KK as it is on the west coast of peninsula malaysia, not Sabah.
    Anyway, I will let you know how our tip goes if you want.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    We went there twice, and stayed at the Nexus resort. Pretty nice. They have shuttle bus to downtown, where you can do some shopping. You can join local tours for rafting, fishing, etc. from the hotel. They have lot of activities for kids there as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Great, Thanks Gataloca and CFM

CFM, yes please let me know. And have fun!!!
    Cheers

snagito is offline Registered User
    Rasa Ria was good fun, we were there about a year ago. They have a nice kids club. Totally opposite to KK in that it is very rural so you do have to eat all meals at the Shangri La resort which gets kind of tiresome. Definitely I could not have done that for 1 week so I would suggest max a 2 night stay so that you can enjoy the resort and your 2 year old can see the orangutans a couple of times..And then do something else with the rest of the time in Malaysia..Have fun!

Thanks for the great suggestion snagito, we booked 3 nights at the Rasa Ria and thanks 2 CFM booked Sutera Harbour Magellan for the rest of the trip. The sister Shangri-La Tanjung Aru looks really good but the baby pool in under renovation until March, 15. And my boy loves the water.... thanks again for the BIG tips.

CFM
    CFM is offline Registered User
    Hi Piper,
    Just wanted to let you know that we had a great time in KK. The suite at the Magellan was really spacious - had a separate living room, dining room and toilet so once the little one was asleep in the bedroom we could still have a life in the evening! We ordered room service a couple of nights and ate out the other nights. Breakfast was ok, nice outdoor area near the pool. Food from the other place near the pool was really good - can recommend the pizzas! the staff were fabulous. The waiters/waitresses at brekky all asked what our baby's name was and some of them even took her off for a walk while we ate which was heavenly! All really friendly and loved playing with our little girl - she is super sociable and smiles at everyone so they were all coming over to play with her.
    The pool there is great - also a little kids pool that is separate. You can also use the pool at the Marina Club and the other wing of the hotel - also very nice! It is also quite nice to wander around the grounds. The grassed areas near the pool at the Magellan is great. We spread out the pool towels and had a little picnic lunch with bub and she was happy playing with her toys for almost an hour, in the shade with a lovely breeze. The weather was perfect for our stay - about 30 degrees, clear blue skies. Lovely!
    The shuttle into town is good, goes every hour and is a really short trip. the waterfront boardwalk is quite nice to have a bite to eat. (Nice Borneo handicrafts shop there too!) The city itself is nothing much (although I am amazed at how it has changed - 16 years since hubby and I backpacked around Borneo....!)
    We also took the boat over to Munaken island one day which was a nice day out. Really clear water - nice!
    I hope you have a really lovely time.
    Cheers,
    Claire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast