Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Morning (noon and night sickness)

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    I found that I couldn't eat whole meals when I had morning sickness. I think that the most important thing is to not let yourself get hungry because hunger makes the sickness feel worse so I would advise to have regular snacks throughout the day, instead of three meals.
    Soup also helped me! I couldn't prepare and cook a meal when I felt so ill, so I would have a bowl of soup and this filled me up and soothed the sickness.
    Most people say ginger will help, so have ginger biscuits or use ginger when cooking food and it will stop you throwing up. This never worked for me though!
    I started to feel better about week 13 on my second pregnancy so hopefully it won't last too long for you.
    Congrats on your pregnancy! Sorry to hear about your morning sickness.

I second AmyH's advice. I'm now 11.5 weeks along and I'm gradually feeling better. I experienced my worst morning sickness between weeks 6 and 10. I found it helps slightly if you don't allow your stomach to get too empty or too full. Personally I'm not crazy about crackers, so I ate mostly wholemeal toast with unsalted butter, cream cheese or peanut butter (protein boost from the nuts). I normally love sour things, but for some reason I couldn't manage anything sour when my morning sickness was at its worst. It may be best to avoid anything too rich and heavy, such as lamb or beef, unless your body feels OK with it. I found that lamb and beef just made me want to hurl. Try to spread your meals throughout the day, so that you smaller meals about 5 to 6 times a day.

song is offline Registered User

Morning (more like all-day) sickness can be terrible so I feel you! I could not hold down any food like until 16 weeks and in the end had to take 2 weeks off work (luckily my boss was very understanding). I also worked from home for a few weeks as well. The resting helped a lot so if it is possible I suggest you bring it up with your boss if you think he/she will be understanding. Food-wise, the only thing I could occasionally keep down were dry crackers (no seasoning), bananas and ginger tea (and definitely not in one go but spread out over the day).

Despite those very difficult weeks, I have forgotten all about it already and am thoroughly enjoying my second trimester. I hope you find a solution that works for you and that the morning sickness will subside!

charade is offline Registered User

It's a trial and error thing, dealing with morning sickness. Saltines worked for me, and these Japanese cookies with sesame in them. Ginger stuff didn't. If you are throwing up, try to eat a biscuit or drink a little water when you wake up in the morning. You will still throw up, but the acidity that comes up (because your stomach is empty and there's nothing else to hurl) will be diluted and it won't burn as much. I could also eat toast. Some women say miso soup helps (when I did have miso soup, I found it did a bit). My tip would be, just eat what works and dont' stress about baby nutrition right now... the nausea will get better and then you can start eating really healthy.

charade is offline Registered User

By the way, by "worked for me" I meant I was able to keep it down and feel marginally better. I still felt nauseous though. There might not be a complete cure, except time. Yeah, pregnancy is fun!

solidstars is offline Registered User

believe it or not, when i was pregnant my chinese doctor took me off milk and i immediately stopped feeling nauseous.

i started drinking milk again during my 3rd trimester and that felt okay...

Lali07 is offline Registered User

Oh you poor gal...

I was so sick all day/night for nearly 5 months, and it was no fun :( I spent most of that time eating plain food like bread, oatmeal, pasta, rice etc. Nothing really helped though I still threw up a lot.

One thing that did help a little was distraction, such as funny TV shows, music etc.

Good luck! I hope it passes soon :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12