Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

My 17 month having 39 degrees fever - Need Advice!

wan888 is offline Registered User

My 17 month having 39 degrees fever - Need Advice!

Charlotte started having fever on 14/2/2011 until today she's still having fever but it comes and goes every hour or two. We fed her paracetamol and then neurofen. There's no other sign of other discomfort but we are worry. Shall we wait or bring her in to check? But Dr. Henry hui said it can last 3-5 days.

There's no rash or other symptoms .... what shall we do?

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Our pediatrician says if it lasts more than 3-4 days we should bring the child back for another appointment. Given all the germs around I wiuld definitely bring her back if she still has a high fever today.

bagel is offline Registered User
    Not to alarm you, but a friend's 4 year old son had this kind of high fever where paracetemol was not helping and after a few days she decided to take him to the pediatrician where they determined that he had swine flu. They had to quarantine him for 3 days at the hospital.

I would take your daughter to the doctor be on the safe side.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    my daughter 28mths had something similar for 4 days (think it was due to the hot/cold weather). she slept with us for those 4 days as we monitored her temperature (always from 37.5-38.6). on the 5th day she had no fever, but developed a cough which i then took her to the doctor for (no medication at home). apparently the fever was an indication that there was something "wrong" and she was fighting it off herself. then we got some antibiotics to clear things up. throughout the whole ordeal she wasn't in any discomfort, but i knew things were not 100% as she was not eating (and she has a healthy diet!)

a trip to the doctors would be reassuring, but chances are if everything's "OK" then it will all be about fever management. try getting your baby to drink more liquids and sleep more - don't worry about her regular schedule.

carang is offline Registered User
    my TWO kids have been fighting something off for almost 2 weeks. after 7 days of HIGH fever, i took my son to the doctor. anti-biotics had the fever gone within a day. now, both kids have a terrible coughs. they were supposed to go back to school last monday, but we've kept them out until next monday....

over the really high fever days, they had no appetite whatsoever and basically went from their beds to the sofa and back again... my son actually saying, "i'm too tired to watch tv, i'm going to have a nap"

megan2008 is offline Registered User
    If the paracetamol is bringing down the fever, then that's good. Other things such as cool bath (not too cold) and keeping minimal amount of clothing on can also help with the fever (but probably not too comfortable). It is when you have used medications and the fever is still not coming down, that you should see the doctor right away. Also, if your child does have an illness that is affecting the breathing you want to watch how fast they are breathing and the effort it takes. Anything abnormal, I would call the doctor right away. With that said, if my daughter has a fever, regardless if medication is working or not, I still take her to the doctors. Trust your gut and do what you think is best. It is not fun for both you and your child when they are sick. Hang in there.

wan888 is offline Registered User
    Thank you very much for the reply ... Charlotte has no fever after a night of crying and nagging. Somehow, she's like this. The fever keeps on coming and going and whenever the temp comes down she starts walking around and do her favourite things (messing things up).

We made her some congee today and she finished it up ... let's hope nothing will follow.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    also, we tend to overdress our kids - remember when they have a fever don't wear so much clothes (my daughter was in a short sleeve and pants because you have to let the "hot air" out of the body and not trap it in when they already have a fever said my pedi...kind of hard to do in this weather, esp. at night times, I know - but try, it does have its benefits.