Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Moving with 2.5 year old ("big" bed and potty training)

zyxwv is offline Registered User

Moving with 2.5 year old ("big" bed and potty training)

We are scheduled to move back to North America this summer, when our son will be 2.5 years old. In the next several months, we will need to (1) move him from crib to a "big"' bed; (2) wean from the pacifier (he has only ever had it for naps/bedtime); and (3) potty train. I'm not sure when to tackle all of these things, as I've heard time and again that big changes, like a move across the world, cause regression. To complicate things, #2 is only 4 months old, so #1 is already working through a major life change!

My current thought is to attempt to sort out the bed and pacifier before we move and hold off on potty training until after. I can remove one side from my son's crib, so this wouldn't need to involve buying a new bed. He doesn't seem quite ready for potty training yet but...what if he does next month?

What was your experience? Any thoughts or suggestions? How, when etc.?

carang is offline Registered User

i would do it all now. yes, there may be regression but again there may not.

first off, i would NOT make a huge deal about it all. i would start with the bed (don't worry about night toilet training for now). just tell him that he's a big boy and needs a big boy bed. then get him some cool sheets and you're off.

then i would get a potty and have it easily accessible. ask him every so often if he needs to go. and then give him a reward when he goes on/in the potty. we offered m & m's to ours. eventually, they forget about the rewards and then you can, too.

for the pacifier, it's just a case of big boys don't need them. they're for babies... see baby brother/sister has one... but you don't need one anymore... maybe they can give it to their baby instead?

you've still got 5-6 months until summer, no reason why you can't take care of all of this before you go...if you want to and if you think your child is ready, of course. some kids are ready for things before others. my son was pretty much toilet trained before #2 was born (son was exactly 2 years old). after baby arrived, we were a little lazy and let him go back to nappies. when #2 was about 4months old, we took the nappies away from #1 again. #2 wasn't toilet trained until she was about 3 yrs 4 months...

we had no issues whatso ever with taking away the crib from either of our kids. maybe because we didn't anticipate any?

pacifier wasn't an issue for #1 as he never used one....#2 was reliant on them until one day around 22 months old, she said,'no, for babies' and that was it... never again.

Last edited by carang; 02-17-2011 at 04:03 PM.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I'm also moving back to NA this summer. My #1 will also be 2.5 and #2 will be 7 months old, she's two weeks old now.
    My son is not ready for a big boy bed nor is he interested in toilet training. He also still sucks his thumb.
    My plan is to buy him one of those Little Tikes race car beds as an intro to his new home and big beds. For toilet training, I'm just going to leave it until we are settled in more. Ditto for his thumb, but I'm not so fussed about that.

our son's bed now is one of those race car beds... he LOVES it... and he's 6!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Great, you can get some ' mileage' from it:)

LOL! the bed has seen a lot of miles...i got it second-hand... only $1000 and it's the big one, not the toddler one! hopefully, he'll like it until he's 10 or 12!

Biggie is offline Registered User

Can I piggy back on this thread with a similar situation? We will be moving in a few weeks and I'm thinking of getting my 2 yr old big boy bed in the new place instead of putting his crib there. Is that wise to lump the change together?
    To complicate things, my second one is 2 month and I'll need to give the crib to the baby after we move. (baby will outgrow the Moses basket). The thing is, my boy "hate" the baby the way it is already, would it make things worse to let baby " take away" his crib? They'll also need to share a room soon....
    Any advice?
    Posted via Mobile Device

honestly, if you talk to your son and explain that he's not a baby anymore, that he needs a big boy bed... take him out shopping for one and take him to pick out his own sheets.... don't even mention the crib...

perhaps there won't be any problems at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast