Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Deciding between a natural birth or planned c-section: Pros & cons?

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I'm sorry, AppleDai -- but I think you might be a bit naive to think that a famous, expensive doctor will necessarily be a better one. A VIP room may be more comfortable, but it's no guarantee of a safer delivery.

Did Dr. Wan give a reason that C-section would be "safer?" Is there something particular to your case? Or is he just playing on a common and false belief in Hong Kong that surgery is always better than natural?

My 1st doctor -- also a "name-brand doctor" -- tried every scare tactic in the book, when I was 5 weeks along! I wouldn't get a hospital bed unless I booked a C-section now. I would be incontinent afterward. He even tried to scare my husband by saying, "If you loved your wife, you'd go for a C-section." Then I did some reading and looked into second opinions, and much of it was not backed up. So we found another doctor -- not so famous or expensive, but much more reasonable.

Think about it logically. All surgery, no matter how routine, comes with risk. Major abdominal surgery is more risky than a natural process. More anesthetia and drugs will always come with a higher level of complication. The C-section recovery is longer and more painful. And -- God forbid -- if something goes horrible wrong at a private hospital, they ship you to a large public hospital anyway, because the government facilities are better for neo-natal intensive care.

If you want a C-section, and are confident in your decision, than go for it. It's your choice.

But if you're making this decision based on fear and -- frankly -- a lack of clear-sighted research and thought (or, because you're being bullied by a doctor), that's not a good thing.

Did you read the World Health Organization page I recommended? Granted, it may be hard reading. For an easier read, you can try the Wikipedia page on Cesarean instead.

The WHO recommends C-sections only when there is a medical complication. It also recommends 10-15% C-section rates. The rates at Hong Kong private hospitals are a whopping 60% -- due, not doubt, to doctors / hospitals wanting to rake in the cash, and some expectant mothers who are misled / scared / bullied / into decisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarean_section

You say your due date is close. So you've already paid for and booked a private place? Have you already made a C-section appointment? Is it even possible for you to switch to a pro-natural-birth doctor now? Because it seem rather late in the process to start thinking about these decisions.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    From what I've heard Dr Wan is very pro c-section as his patients are mostly from the mainland and they need to have planned c-sections as they are not in HK for an extended period of time and need things to be predictable.

Anyhow, if you're not picky about room type and hospital, is it not impossible to choose natural even at this stage? If you are particular then it'd probably be very hard to get a place knowing the system in HK. Honestly, go with what you're comfortable with but do your research and choose what is best for your situation. Frankly don't choose an option because it removes your fear because you're choosing "surgery" instead and there are risks there too. Good luck with whatever you decide! :) Hope you have a healthy baby.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    For those who are thinking about c-sections etc. please see these posts:

The Business of Being Born
    Ina May Gaskin
    Birth Rights The Risk of Choice
    Fetal Neurological Risks of Synthetic Oxytocin Use- Depression, Anxiety, Autism...
    Laura Shanley Talks About Birth
    The Doctors Got It All Wrong
    Moving and Grooving in Labor Works
    Tsuen Wan Adventist Hospital-My Experience
    Sphincter Law: Smile=good. Chuckle=better. Good belly laugh=effective anesthesia
    The Win-Win Birth Plan
    Printable Labor Position Guide
    Benefits of Vaginal Birth for Mother and Baby
    Let Your Birthing Experience Be Inspired
    Safe, Protected and Unobserved
    7 Signs of a Bad Doctor
    Unneccessarian

In my opinion, it is incredibly irresponsible for doctors to use c-sections for their own convenience and then convince their patients that it's for the safety of the baby. Unless you are a high-risk case which requires a c-section, it's best to get ready for a vaginal birth. Believe me, you can do it--it's not as big of a deal as Hollywood makes it out to be. But, fear (of anything) will make problems for you so you do have to deal with that.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

appledai is offline Registered User
    Yes, I booked a private place and appointed c-section, I can not change private doctor but I can always go public as I keep checking at Eastern hospital. At very beginning, I had very strong decision that I must go C-section to avoid the baby through uncertainty. After see more and more posts, I seems doubt my original thinking. I thank you for your reply here and in other post. I do be serious thinking of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gracey View Post
    I'm sorry, AppleDai -- but I think you might be a bit naive to think that a famous, expensive doctor will necessarily be a better one. A VIP room may be more comfortable, but it's no guarantee of a safer delivery.

Did Dr. Wan give a reason that C-section would be "safer?" Is there something particular to your case? Or is he just playing on a common and false belief in Hong Kong that surgery is always better than natural?

My 1st doctor -- also a "name-brand doctor" -- tried every scare tactic in the book, when I was 5 weeks along! I wouldn't get a hospital bed unless I booked a C-section now. I would be incontinent afterward. He even tried to scare my husband by saying, "If you loved your wife, you'd go for a C-section." Then I did some reading and looked into second opinions, and much of it was not backed up. So we found another doctor -- not so famous or expensive, but much more reasonable.

Think about it logically. All surgery, no matter how routine, comes with risk. Major abdominal surgery is more risky than a natural process. More anesthetia and drugs will always come with a higher level of complication. The C-section recovery is longer and more painful. And -- God forbid -- if something goes horrible wrong at a private hospital, they ship you to a large public hospital anyway, because the government facilities are better for neo-natal intensive care.

If you want a C-section, and are confident in your decision, than go for it. It's your choice.

But if you're making this decision based on fear and -- frankly -- a lack of clear-sighted research and thought (or, because you're being bullied by a doctor), that's not a good thing.

Did you read the World Health Organization page I recommended? Granted, it may be hard reading. For an easier read, you can try the Wikipedia page on Cesarean instead.

The WHO recommends C-sections only when there is a medical complication. It also recommends 10-15% C-section rates. The rates at Hong Kong private hospitals are a whopping 60% -- due, not doubt, to doctors / hospitals wanting to rake in the cash, and some expectant mothers who are misled / scared / bullied / into decisions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caesarean_section

You say your due date is close. So you've already paid for and booked a private place? Have you already made a C-section appointment? Is it even possible for you to switch to a pro-natural-birth doctor now? Because it seem rather late in the process to start thinking about these decisions.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    But if you booked a private place and don't go, do you still have to pay?
    I'm sorry if I sounded harsh on you. I hope you can relax, enjoy your birth, and soon you'll have a baby!
    Good luck! :)

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Appledai, on this point, I had my c-section in a public hospital and was very upset when I found out a week before that a trainee surgeon would be doing the c-section. When I spoke with the anaesthetist (who was very experienced) he said that actually it is much better to have someone like her doing the surgery rather than a consultant, as c-sections are all this doctor has been doing for the past couple of months - 5 or 6 a day, all week, every week. He thought this better than a consultant who doesn't necessarily do them as frequently.

The deposit is $20000, even we give up it still better than pay $114500. Now I think money is nothing, What I think is BB brain oxygen problem if long time delivery. I need have a discussion with public doctor. hope I can trust HK public system. Many good public doctors went to private, every time public doctors I saw are very young. One time I asked a doctor what will be, she said "I will ask for you" then she really went out.

I thank your guys' comments, actually I am a little bit prefer natural way. I am relaxed, just wait for a way.:)

But if you booked a private place and don't go, do you still have to pay?
    I'm sorry if I sounded harsh on you. I hope you can relax, enjoy your birth, and soon you'll have a baby!
    Good luck! :)

I read your post about c-section with a trainee. I also felt doctors at public are patient but just less experienced. My private one is a c-section expert who can do within minutes with a very small scar. But if I go public, I will definitely chose natural way. then midwife and nurses are more important than a doctor. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    Appledai, on this point, I had my c-section in a public hospital and was very upset when I found out a week before that a trainee surgeon would be doing the c-section. When I spoke with the anaesthetist (who was very experienced) he said that actually it is much better to have someone like her doing the surgery rather than a consultant, as c-sections are all this doctor has been doing for the past couple of months - 5 or 6 a day, all week, every week. He thought this better than a consultant who doesn't necessarily do them as frequently.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast