Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Deciding between a natural birth or planned c-section: Pros & cons?

carang is offline Registered User
    apple, would you rather that the doctor give you a "fake" answer or go out and ask their supervisor?

i really don't understand your main worry at all...

appledai is offline Registered User
    No, I mean that doctor who went out to ask seems less experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    apple, would you rather that the doctor give you a "fake" answer or go out and ask their supervisor?

i really don't understand your main worry at all...

carang is offline Registered User
    i know exactly what you mean. the doctor didn't know the answer, so went to ask someone who did. would you rather that or they give you a "fake" answer.

QMH is a teaching hospital. so, inevitably you will get some doctors that are less experienced. after being hospitalised 13 times in two pregnancies there, i can tell you that if you have any questions and want to speak to the supervising doctor, they have no problem with that at all, but you may have to wait a while.

Anne1212 is offline Registered User
    Hi appledai, I know chinese/western people who went to public and private hospitals and did natural or c section. For natural some have short labour and some have long ones. None of their babies got the brain issue u worried about. For me from the time I started feeling sore till baby was born it was about a day's time. My baby could have had issues but thanks to everybody both baby and me were fine. All through the public hospital nurses and midwives and doctors (young or older) were all very supportive in their own way. Some were so nice like your granny or sisters while some were as stern as a school headmistress but it was a good way to get the nervous mums toughen up (some mums to be were acting really like a baby and makes u wonder whether they are really ready to be somebody's mum). They were busy busy and needed to prioritize but they were great. During my stay there I've met mums who went in for natural but doctors decided c section was needed or like me went in there to be induced but my little one decided he didn't like any intervention and 'kicked start' the labour process himself~
    Do make up your mind today I suggest and start to relax. U need to chill and relax ASAP and get ready for the new arrival. If u are too stressed, the stress Will affect the baby...
    Having been a mum for a while I figure out I need to chill and relax in critical times or else I won't be able to make good judgement. A mum faces so many decisions every day all the time and each one of them is important and one can't be stressed about all of them. Some times one need to learn to let go and let nature take it course too. Remember u are not alone. Research and make informed decisions and everything will be fine.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    What I think is BB brain oxygen problem if long time delivery.

AppleDai -- This must be the 5th or 6th time you've brought up this one particular problem, without explanation. Why are you so worried with this one issue? Where did you hear or read that natural birth causes brain damage? Did a doctor say your child is at risk of this complication? Or is it just something you're worrying about yourself?

But if I go public, I will definitely chose natural way. then midwife and nurses are more important than a doctor.

If you go public, you will have to try for vaginal birth. They will only do a C-section for medical reasons -- risk to the baby, an overly long labor, etc. It is only private hospitals that let you choose an elective C-section. Wasn't that the whole initial point of your dilemma?

I think having a good doctor is important for either C-section or vaginal.

You seem a bit overwhelmed by this issue. I hope you find an answer soon! How many weeks are you? Good luck, again.

$114,500 is ALOT of money. And there may be extra hidden charges. That's about double the budget for what we're spending for a natural birth, but at a private hospital.

Gracey is offline Registered User
    I left a comment for you on another thread. In case you don't see it, here's a summary.

I come from a HK Chinese family and all of the mothers -- my mom, aunts, cousins, everyone I can think of -- had natural vaginal birth. And all of them and their babies came out just fine.

But if you want a C-section, have done your research, and are sure it's worth the $110,000+, then go for it. It's every woman's choice.

I finally found an easy-to-read pros and cons list for C-section vs. vaginal, from ABC News in America. I like this list because it's not biased on either way. It gives good and bad to both sides. This is a good read for all the women here, not just AppleDai.

It goes list oxygen deprivation as an issue, but also many other issues, including C-section complications.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/story?id=3291512&page=1
    Last edited by Gracey; 07-02-2011 at 04:44 AM.

shakeshack is offline Registered User
    Apologies i didn't read the whole thread but all i know is try to go normal vaginal unless you absolutely cannot. I am new to HK and the pro C Section culture is pretty sad bec it's not about being less risky, it's about a business model- more organized bookings, higher doctor's fees, etc. Healthcare decisions shouldn't be based on a business model but i guess some doctors just want their $$. I dont want to compare to the US because some NJ doctors were also pro C section as they wanted less risk of being sued but in general, nature is the best way to go unless there is a reason to go C section (breech baby, too big for mom to push, pre-eclampsia, etc). Also, normal delivery is pain BEFORE the birth with an easier recovery, while C section is a MAJOR surgery so less pain before but harder recovery. Bear in mind if you start with C section you are likely to have C section for all future births. It isn't as convenient as it sounds if you think of the postpartum healing. I'm lucky my doctor is a local but insists on normal delivery unless absolutely impossible.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011