Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Deciding between a natural birth or planned c-section: Pros & cons?

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Maybe make an appointment with Hulda at Annerley or Yvonne Heavyside at Family Zone. They will be able to tell you about hospitals, doctors, birthing, etc. We made an initial appointment with Hulda and she is a midwife/doula. She is soooo knowledgeable. I wanted to have natural, but knew if there were complications, I would trust the doctors in charge. We went public and had regular appointments with a private doctor. A lot of is also involves you and your belief in yourself as having babies is a natural and beautiful thing and c-sections are there for a reason. They shouldn't be routine unless medically indicated. The WHO recommends c-section rates should be 10% and in HK and most western countries, it's closer to 45%. Just be knowledgeable before you decide anything. A really great documentary is the Business of Being Born...it gives you some good information and that you do have choice...maybe not exactly the same in HK, but at least you can see what the system does that might not always be in the best interests of you and your baby. HOpe that makes sense.

carang is offline Registered User
    no, c-sections are not terrible.

BUT there seems, in hk especially, to be this idea that it's the "easy" way to have a baby without pain. that is NOT the case. it is a MAJOR surgery that should NOT be entered into lightly... which, to me, seems to escape many women in hk... and the doctors, too!

of course, there are c-sections that have no complications and where the mother is fine the day afterwards. the same can be said for natural/vaginal childbirth.

it really irks me when people choose a c-section because they are afraid of the pain or because they can choose the date. c-sections should be used when medically necessary, like for you and for me....

and yes, i DID feel a little jipped by the fact that i have NEVER even felt a single contraction , have since gotten over this feeling!LOL!

anyway, there are horror stories about both forms of child birth. there are also wonderful stories about both kinds of childbirth. canvasing for others' experience may not be the way to go if you want to make an informed decision... and it's a decision that does NOT need to be made immediately anyway. you have months ahead of you!

in the end, the ONLY thing that matters is that your child and you survive the experience, what ever form of birth, happy or at least, healthy!

1stimemum is offline Registered User
    my 2 cents. I think alot of women make child birth stories almost like war stories... everything gets amplified as time goes by... if you can have a natural delivery, why not? here's another great reason... ITS SOO MUCH CHEAPER esp at private hospitals.

I wanted to have a natural delivery right up till wk 38 but baby was breech and these days most doctors would rather not deliver naturally in that situation (lack of experience on their part, higher risk involved)

My c section was very uneventful and but I think recovery was harder as you have to be so mindful of infections and the like. and I second the other mums; at the end of the day, the little one in your arms is really all that matters.

lalligirl is offline Registered User
    If you do decide to go natural, I can highly recommend doing a hypnobirthing course to help calm your fears about natural childbirth. Even if you don't fully subscribe to the hypnobirthing model (which advocates completely intervention-free, calm childbirth), it may help you to address some of your fears surrounding the idea of vaginal birth & it gives you some very good coping techniques (breathing etc.). I'm sure there are other things out there that teach you similarly, but this is the one i have experience with!

carang is offline Registered User
    there was NOTHING amplified about what i wrote... actually, i toned it down, didn't mention the terrible infection that set in afterwards... i remember it like it was yesterday. i cried through the entire operation. the anesthetist's assistant spent the entire operation drying my eyes and wiping my nose.

for my second, i delivered under general anesthesia and slept through the entire process. it was by far the easier of the two births. however, there are more possibilities of complications etc under general anesthesia. it's also more difficult on the baby. my daughter had to be put into special care for 24 hours because her reaction times were delayed due to anesthesia. it also took me A LOT longer, read: months, to bond with her....

i REALLY don't think that women exaggerate their birth stories, even when they're not good stories. that is doing those of us that experienced bad deliveries a MAJOR disservice and i think it is uncalled for.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I had 2 c-sections and thought the second has been much better in terms of recovery, I have to say that they ARE terrible. After my first, I was in shock at how much pain I was in and how so many women chose this as a preferred method of delivery. With my second it was better, maybe bc it was planned and I was expecting it, but those first 24 hours were pretty bad. I was so jealous of the natural delivery women who just sprung back to life just hours after having a baby.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    Try to surround yourself with positive birth stories, but also be informed. C-sections are major abdominal surgeries so to have one just because you want your baby on a certain date or you think it will be too painful to push, may not be the best reason to have a c-section. They are there for medical reasons and doctors that have to perform it are good at their jobs. The most important thing is having a healthy baby whether or not you do it naturally or you end up having to have a c-section. WATCH THE BUSINESS OF BEING BORN!

bloominginHK is offline Registered User
    To be perfectly honest... I really don't understand why Dr's give us the option of how we want our babies to be born, unless of course it's medically necessary.

Our bodies were created to give birth the natural way... and our babies will come when they are ready (granted I know some come too early), so to me a scheduled c-section just seems like it's all about the convenience for the parents and Dr's and not what's best for the baby. And while c-sections are a routine surgery, they are still a major surgery but that side of the details never seem to be discussed by the Dr's/nurse's here but maybe that's just my experience.

I have 3 children. The first natural with epidural, the second was a planned c-section though it wasn't planned until 36wks when the nurses were convinced I couldn't deliver him because of his size (4.5k), and my third was a VBAC with gas. Of all the issues I had with all 3 deliveries, the only one I would do-over is his. The process was scary to me and the recovery was much more painful, harder, much longer and after my 3rd (who also was about 4.3k) I realize was unnecessary.

The benefit to me for my son was I thought i wouldn't have to deal with labor but lucky me went into labor 3hrs before my surgery so I still dealt with labor pains.

I do know that planned c-sections usually mean a delivery 1/2wks before you expected due date but I think you need to be cautious with that as well because due dates are just that... expected. I know a few moms who planned c-sections and the babies were very obviously not ready for birth but again I'm sure that's not the norm.

There's no guarantees for any delivery. And as everyone has said, what matters most is that you and baby are healthy. And if you want natural, there's a lot of help/support out there to help you cope and make it a wonderful experience. It's normal to worry about the delivery but don't let it consume you... especially at this point. You've got a lot of wonderful moments ahead to experience!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast