Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Deciding between a natural birth or planned c-section: Pros & cons?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    i took the remark regarding exaggerating rather personally. i had two terrrible pregnancies and one terrible birth... for someone to say that i was exaggerating (i realise she might not be talking about me personally) i find offensive. it diminishes what i went through, the pain i felt, and the emotions that i had to deal with.

women should stand up for each other, not tear each other down.

some women have uneventful pregnancies and deliveries. i think they are extremely lucky and i would NEVER imply that they are exaggerating how "good" their experiences were. but not everyone is so lucky.

again, the intention of my post was NOT to tell a war story, it was merely to point out that c-sections are MAJOR surgery and the decision to have one should not be taken lightly.
    Hey carang,

I didn't read the above posts so I'm not sure about what exactly was mentioned. But, when I read the comment about how women exaggerate, I tend to think that in general, birth is made out to be this catastrophic event in and of itself. We see it in the movies. We watch it on TV. The Womens Magazines focus on it. It's everywhere. The message is: The Act of Childbirth is Gonna Getcha'!

Now, you know me and I know you and we both had our share of hell to go through in childbirth (I tend to think you went through more than I did but again, I'm not comparing scorecards here). But, the truth is, that doesn't mean birth in itself is a messed-up biological function. Sure, both of us had messed-up experiences in some way--our bodies had weaknesses and difficulties that were particular to our situations and our health backgrounds. I mean, I was predisposed to bleed too much--it runs in my family--it's a health condition. There are ways that our bodies kind of pooped out on us and we did our best to deal with those situations and well, we must have done okay because we're both here right now. :)

But, the truth--the actual truth is that most pregnancies and births are normal. Less than 10% of all pregnancies in the developed world are actually high-risk cases. So, most women can look forward to a healthy birth. That doesn't mean that all women on this forum are going to be able to have one but the majority will. And the majority of the women here do not medically need interventions to go through labor--I'm talking about medically indicated interventions--not elective interventions. Our bodies are fabulous and they are designed to work but many doctors will try to convince you otherwise--that your body is faulty and is going to fail you--how depressing is that? And the stress of it all becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I was just thinking about this this afternoon. I haven't actually had a chance to ask my own doctor these two questions but I will pose them to him next week when I see him.

1. Have you ever personally attended a unmedicated, natural childbirth?

2. What is your personal intervention rate? If you are the attending doctor at 10 womens' births, how many of those do you suppose will end up having interventions? How many of those are mother-directed interventions and how many are interventions you directly chose? (forceps, vaccuum, induction, augmentation, epidurals and c-sections)?

I am very curious to find out.

Anyway, I think it is important for us all to tell our birth stories even if they happen to not be the most pleasant experiences--they all matter.

I just try to be careful to not do what a woman at my mother's church in the States did when I was about 30-some weeks pregnant. She walked up to me and out of the blue said, "Not to scare you, but so-and-so went into labor and gave birth to a stillborn and she was at the same point in pregnancy as you are now." I just looked at her and said, "I'm sorry, but I just don't accept those words you just spoke to me" and I made it a point to avoid her from then on. What was the point of her telling me that horrible story? Nothing. It's totally different when you tell your story to inform others.

carang is offline Registered User
    thanka, i agree with you. birth is a natural thing. women have been doing it since "the beginning". i was like any other woman before i gave birth. i had my concerns about both "versions". ended up, i didn't have a choice. i could have had a stroke or a heart attack if i'd tried it naturally.

if truth be told, i am a little jealous of women who are able to enjoy their pregnancy and have a "natural" birth. it was not something that was ever in the cards for me... even if i were to have another baby, i would not be able to have a vaginal birth....

i didn't post my initial post to scare the OP, rather to inform her. i purposely did NOT put in any of the gory details of my first delivery or of either of my terrible pregnancies. (if she wants those, it's not hard to search this forum for them). again, my intention was only to inform.

but for someone to say that bad birth experiences are exaggerated belittles you and me and anyone else who had a difficult delivery.

i would NEVER, EVER, EVER walk up to anyone getting ready to deliver and offer my "war story". that is cruel and unusual punishment and should be treated as such. but when one comes on here LOOKING for stories... that's a different story.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    @taysty - yes, it's Dr Richard Ooi, he was great!

@charade - good to know about the c-sections at public hospitals! :) i have a lot of faith in the public system here.

as for episiotomy - though i know i never had one, i know for a fact that if i had one for my first pregnancy that my daughter would have been born 1.5hrs earlier and she wouldn't have ended up with meconium aspiration. don't know if there was a problem with my doctor (whom I've obviously never used again!) but my 2nd doctor believes that it would have definitely speeded things up and helped the baby come out faster...so, it was "medically" necessary - but like many people, i took a class and they said to us NEVER to get one, so when the doctor asked me, of course I said no - right off the bat...should have had more questions for him, but it was the 1st, so we were inexperienced. anyhow, it doesn't sound fun, but if i could go back, i would definitely have one...you see, my daughters head was "bigger" than "normal"...still is - she's a big head girl! just my 2 cents..

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Hi everyone! Sorry for not responding earlier- I wanted to make sure that I read everyone's posts carefully to honour the time that you all spent in sharing your individual experiences. It was very enlightening, so a BIG thank you to all! I certainly learnt a lot more from reading your posts here than from researching the Net and speaking to my doctor. For example, I had no idea that inducement is likely to increase the strength of the contractions. Overall I'd say that I'm feeling a lot more confident about going the natural route and I think the epidural is the way to go!

carang: I find your direct, honest, and warts-and-all account of your birthing experiences most refreshing! It definitely sounds as though you had a hard time and I don't think that you're exagerrating. After all, I came on here to understand more about the pros and cons of natural vs C-sections!

To banane76 and thanka2: I will definitely get my hands on the "Business of being born" and look into the other resources mentioned by thanka2. Thx

To the ladies who had an episiotomy, I feel for you! My mother also had an episiotomy and I know from her that it's extremely painful. I hope to avoid it at all costs, so thanka2's tips will be borne in mind.

carang is offline Registered User
    to riley (also the name of my #2),

i truly wish you an uneventful pregnancy, the birth that you want, and a wonderful & healthy child !

RileyC is offline Registered User
    Thanks, carang!

jojoye is offline Registered User
    you recover a lot sooner if you have a natural birth. also you can bear many more children having natural birth when compared to c-section. my fd was told after 3 kids she shouldn't have anymore, which was said because she had three boys and she really wanted one more girl!

genkimom is offline Registered User
    I'm a newcomer, and a bit late for this discussion, but I just wanted to thank everyone for their extremely informative and interesting comments.

Also, I wanted to add that one thing to bear in mind when contemplating this choice (if it is a choice for you) is that many doctors and hospitals do not allow VBACS, as the risk of vaginal rupture is higher with a VBAC. However, studies have shown that multiple C-sections are just as dangerous or more so than VBACs. Many women are told they cannot have vaginal births after they agree to a cesarean, but after a few of those, are told they are simply not allowed to bear children at all (a la jojoye's comment above) because the risk of serious internal damage is so great with multiple surgeries. For most modern families, this is not an issue, as we typically don't have big families anyway these days. But if you don't want to be told you CANT have more children, you need to go natural, and save the C section for your last one, if you ever decide to have an elective one at all.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast