Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Deciding between a natural birth or planned c-section: Pros & cons?

ssheng is offline Registered User
    In case this hasn't already been said - I actually experienced no 'pain' from my natural birth. I got an epidural early on as my water had broken and they were going to kickstart my labor and said if I wanted an epidural I should get it at the same time as the pictocin. I guess they gave me too much, because I didn't feel any contractions. When I was dilated I was told to push at certain times by the nurse in attendance. Actually if I am to be honest I was scared of the pain so when they asked me if I could feel ice they put on my stomach as they gave me the epidural, I said yes, although I really couldn't feel much. And when I was halfway dilated they asked if I wanted a top-up of the medicine and even though I didn't feel pain I said sure, why not. I'm not proud of this but if you are scared of pain, just something to realize - natural childbirth can also be pain-free. :P

The funny thing was that for my second, since I didn't know what it felt like to go into labor, I read the books that said what it would feel like and that the initial pain would last up to 6 hours, then get more intense, etc. Second time around was SO fast, that it took not 6 hours but 6 minutes from initial crampy pain to active labor! I pushed the baby to crowning in the cab, and delivered within 4 minutes upon arriving at the hospital. The whole thing took maybe 30-40 minutes, and the most painful stuff was probably 15-20 minutes max. So, I went from a totally painless first birth to an unmedicated completely natural second birth! There wasn't even a coach to help me push - just did it when my body 'told' me to. And guess what - the second birth was far better. I had a childhood accident where I wound up in the hospital, and birth was by far less painful, because for me, psychologically, I knew the pain was something natural and positive, not because some internal organ was being torn up or my body had been cut and was bleeding. My vote is also for natural birth if you can have it - you can do things to significantly minimize the pain if you wish, and if you have subsequent children, it could be a super quick labor, which is great. Oh and btw, I'm only 5 ft tall and have no hips, so even if you are petite don't think childbirth HAS to be horrible for you.

appledai is offline Registered User
    I really appreciate so many posts to me. my due time is very near, my booking date is nearer. just a bit more 10 days to go. From HK news, I heard lots of cases, moms delivered BB more than 20 hours, even I heard 40-50 hours. What I worry so much is not pain to me, instead, I worry if I could push BB during pain as I am very sensitive. I do not mind how long I can recover, the only thing I mind is about Baby. If long time delivery, I worry water becomes dirty, i will worry if baby has enough oxygen, and some side effect, uncertainty. I feared so much about the news brain problem due to lack of oxygen. I must make up my mind to decide what should be done within 10 days. though I booked C-section at private when i was 3-month pregnant. At fact, my husband and his family do not like me to do that as most of HK ladies will deliver at public. and I might bring big cost at private.

I thank you guys so much for your advice, I will be serious think about it more and more.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    you will either experience pain during the labour (natural) OR after (c-section). unfortunately I don't know much about c-section apart from that...you can't realistically get out of "pain" in any sense of the word when you're having a child. it is nice to be able to plan, but I had a couple friends who had "planned c-sections" and still they had to have their c-section early because the baby was just "ready" to come out because their doctor advised against waiting or else it'd be a natural instead...so, though they wanted an auspicious date for the birth of their baby, it didn't happen. i'd just say let nature take its course - c-sections are not a bad thing if you really need to have one, that's just my opinion though - why put baby through a risk when you "need" a c-section, right? i wouldn't think too much at this point in time - plan what you can and let nature take it's course.

appledai is offline Registered User
    Hi charade, Did nurse ask you for epistiomy in HK public? I heard we have no choice about drug at public. Yes, I paid deposit for private but my doctor seems only interested in c-section. If I will go natural, I will definitely go to public as save lots of money. I booked at HK adventist, no room type confirmed until delivery date, cost is out of control. I told my husband if VIP room I will leave, not sure about private room, my husband thinks too expensive, totally we should pay around $115000.
    I will ask public again about if I can ask epistiomy by myself next week. Thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by charade View Post
    Appledai, from everything I have read, a natural birth is better for the baby compared to a c-section, unless there are complications with mother and child that recommend a c-section. Do you have complications due to which you were recommended to have a c-section? The baby signals when it wants to come out, when the body thinks it is ready. The baby does not have to process any drugs. The body kicks into breastfeeding mode immediately (takes a little longer with c-sec), the mums body recovers quicker (though not sure this was true for me, my epistiomy took bloody long). Your body will make sure you push the baby out, it is almost uncontrollable. If for some reason it is not happening, the doctor/midwife will help you. If you are afriad of pain, you can have an epidural. Apparently, these are available even in public but with me, there was some confusion and I didn't get one. The weird thing was the nurse asked me if I wanted one, I said I would like to try to see if I could bear the pain on my own and when was the latest I could let her know, she gave me a time... within that time I asked for the epidural but then they acted like they had never offered it and I couldn't get one. So next time I will try to go private. Even without an epidural, the pain is bad but you can and will get through it. If you had already booked a private hospital, I presume you have paid a deposit. You can still go natural in the private system... and it would be cheaper too.

Liquorice is offline Registered User
    Carang, it is a misconception that a c-section = no pain, but it doesn't therefore entail that it has to mean a lot of pain. I would say that it is a controlled pain at least. One upside is that it starts off bad and can only get better (which it did very quickly in my experience) versus having pain that you know is going to keep getting worse but you don't know how bad it will get. I have never had a natural delivery so I don't really know what it is like, but I imagine it might be quite scary in that respect.

But Appledai, I think my c-section was fine for me because I have quite a high pain threshold. If you are sensitive to pain anyway, then a c-section may be just as bad / worse than a natural delivery.

Another issue with a c-sections is that it really is serious abdominal surgery. Everyone said this to me before I had mine, but I don't think I really appreciated how much it would affect me. I am strong and recover quickly from most things (I've had lots of breaks in the past including femur and pelvis) so I thought I'd get over it quickly. I was very fit before I got pregnant and throughout my pregnancy. I waited 3 months after delivery to do any exercise as advised, felt fine, so started doing a lot to shed those baby pounds. What I hadn't expected was that my abdominals would take much much longer than three months to recover properly. I ended up damaging my knees and not being able to do exercise at all for months. It has now been 7 months and I still have to be very careful. I underestimated the importance of my abs. Because they were cut, they are no longer strong enough to support my pelvis properly - even months after surgery - so this affects my running gait, causing my foot to turn in as I run which causes my knee to twist. I ran through the pain for a while but had to give up in the end. Your abdominals support your core so messing around with them can have serious consequences.

(sorry - just realised I was a page behind...)
    Last edited by Liquorice; 06-29-2011 at 06:19 PM.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by appledai View Post
    Hi charade, Did nurse ask you for epistiomy in HK public? I heard we have no choice about drug at public. Yes, I paid deposit for private but my doctor seems only interested in c-section. If I will go natural, I will definitely go to public as save lots of money. I booked at HK adventist, no room type confirmed until delivery date, cost is out of control. I told my husband if VIP room I will leave, not sure about private room, my husband thinks too expensive, totally we should pay around $115000.
    I will ask public again about if I can ask epistiomy by myself next week. Thank you very much.
    They will offer you an episiotomy during labour. The pros are that it can help the baby come out faster. I had one in my first delivery for that reason. But I found that it was the most painful part of my healing. For my second child, I asked for no episiotomy and they didn't do one. I did still tear a little, but it was much less painful for me in the healing process. All women are different though and some women who have had episiotomies didn't find the healing process too painful. Personally, I would not ask for one again though. But the public hospital is ok with either option.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquorice View Post
    I have never had a natural delivery so I don't really know what it is like, but I imagine it might be quite scary in that respect.
    Yes, it was scary because of this the first time for me and because I was fearful and apprehensive that slowed down my labor and it ended up being 43 hours long. The second time, I just told my body everything was going to be okay and that I could roll with the pain and move with it (literally and figuratively) and my labor went by like nothing--12 hours--8 of it at home--4 of that was really early labor, 4 of it was pretty much sitting in a hot tub of water and 4 was at the hospital pushing. I had NO FEAR this time and it made all the difference--as far as pain, length of labor as well as recovery goes.
    “Many women have described their experiences of childbirth as being associated with a
    spiritual uplifting, the power of which they have never previously been aware …
    To such a woman childbirth is a monument of joy within her memory.
    She turns to it in thought to seek again an ecstasy which passed too soon.”

~ Grantly Dick-Read (Childbirth Without Fear)

Mother of Two
    JMW, boy, born November 29, 2007, 9:43 pm, USA
    MJW, girl, born March 17, 2011, 4:14 pm, HK

carang is offline Registered User
    apple: do you really think that doctors would allow you to labour away if there is ANY danger to the baby???? this is not a third world country. they should be able to manage delivering your baby without too many complications. it seems to me that what you are actually worried about (if what you wrote is really how you feel) is extremely unlikely to happen....

while childbirth has not always been the routine procedure it is today, it really isn't as awful as your mind is making you think it is. women have been doing it forever. and with modern medicine what it is today, it is major, but routine.

licorice, i realise that not everyone had the terrifying c-section that i had, it still has it's own accompanying pain. for me, i wasn't myself for about 2-3 months afterward.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast