Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Deciding between a natural birth or planned c-section: Pros & cons?

Gracey is offline Registered User
    Just curious -- who is your doctor?

charade is offline Registered User
    Hi Appledai, it is sad that your doctor is only willing to do c-sections. I wish these doctors and hospitals that push c-sections could be brought to the medical council because they are pushing something that is against international medical norms and not always the best for mother and baby. I totally understand that there is a need for c-sections in some cases and it is the duty of the doctor to give the patient choices and proper information.

One thing about the public system, there is this impression that they might cut corners to save money. It is true that they may not have the nicest rooms, they do not do a scan on every appointment, they do not do advanced testings unless deemed necessary, BUT they have top notch medical facilities, they have experienced doctors and I'd say nurses too and they are not out to make money. You can rest assured that because they do not profit financially, their priority is you and your baby. If they have the slightest fear for you or your baby, they start escalating your case and testing. I had to only mention I was anxious about an infection and they would test me - free of charge. They are also very pro natural birth and breastfeeding - however, they do not hesitate to offer a c-section if they feel medically necessary.

So yes, a public doctor would be the best person to give you an honest and neutral opinion on natural vs c-section. I hope you get a nice one who is not rushed and will answer your questions.

It would also be good if you could get a clear answer on epidural. Nicolejoy mentioned in this thread that you can insist on one even in public. Gatalotica also mentioned that they are supposed to be available in public. So, if you could get a clear answer from your doctor in the public system beforehand and also how you can ensure that you get the epidural, it would also help people like me because a big reason I would choose private over public next time around would be the guaranteed option of an epidural.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I had both of my babies at a public hospital and I was able to choose an epidural among other pain medicine. I could also choose to have an episiotomy as well. Of course, they may recommend it to you if they suspect that the tear will be too serious. I didn't want an episiotomy as it usually takes longer to heal. For the epidural, my first labour was long so after deciding to induce, they broke my water and I asked for an epidural. It really helped me as I could rest my body before I had to push the baby out. The second time, the epidural doctor couldn't do it properly so I didn't have one, but then my water broke and the baby came out. There was pain, but it was over and before you know it, baby is out and they usually will breastfeed better without epidural too. Natural is best for baby and mom for sure, but if you need a c-section, then the doctors will surely give you one even at public. You really need to think positively that you can do this. So many mothers have done it! Don't feel bad for your decision though! What people have written here is all true and really read what they have said. There are risks and benefits to both, but most of the time, mom and baby are ok for a natural delivery!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by taysty View Post
    @ lesliefu

Is it Dr Richard Ooi? He did my epidural when i delivered last year. The discomfort and pain was minimum. He is very patient and make me feel comfortable with it.

@ charade

You're right with the epidural thing. I didnt feel ashame of taking the epidural becoz i had back pain for more than 12 hours and i kind of know i wont be able to push effectively let alone have to deal with more pain. Before they give me my 2nd dose of epidural, i felt pain in between and i'm so glad that i had epidural.

After my delivery, in less that 12 hours, i was "up and running" doing breastfeeding in the hospital. Yes, i've got some stiches, but i think i can deal with the pain more than those labour pain.

Yes - I had Dr Ooi - very good...don't know why anyone would opt to not have an epidural - personally I think they are the best inventions (next to air conditioners) that we should take advantage off.
    Last edited by lesliefu; 06-30-2011 at 10:26 AM.

appledai is offline Registered User
    My doctor is Dr. Macor Wan, he is very famous in HK, also expensive. If private room, he charge $40000, VIP room for $80000. My previous Dr. Derek Lo is very very good but he will be not in HK in July. and then refer me to Dr Wan. Dr. Lo asked me to Public but he also admitted most of Dr. chose c-section for their own children I believe Dr. wan is professional and good. Dr. wan said c-section will less risk for the baby.

carang is offline Registered User
    doctors chose c-section for their own babies for convenience! NOT for medical reasons.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I can't believe he would say a c-section is less risky for your baby unless you have some kind of complication. Otherwise, he shouldn't be recommending one...he probably has a golf game he needs to get to so he wants to know when he has to be there.

mazamarie is offline Registered User
    As carang says doctors in the private sector chose a c-section for their convenience. They can pick a time to turn up do a procedure and then leave they don't have to spend hours with you while you are in labour or get a phone call in the middle of the night for them to came to the hospital. Why spend hours when you can spend an hour to do the same job and get the same money.

I have had a cousin who due to a medical reason (baby was breach and they thought he was going to be over 10 pounds) had to do a c-section and they ended up cutting too deep and cutting the baby. Luckily bub was breach and had his back facing the doctor as it was his bottom not his face!!!! But he still has a scar 2 1/2 years later. He was also only 7 pounds 4 so the scans were completely wrong for the weight as well. This was all with a highly recommended and experienced doctor as well. Doctors do make mistakes.

Please don't just go on what a doctor who is out to make money the quickest and easiest way says.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast