Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Any one received acceptance letter from Singapore International School?

yum-mum is offline Registered User

Any one received acceptance letter from Singapore International School?

We have applied for SIS and are wondering what the school's reputation is. How does SIS compare to ISF?

penguinsix is offline Registered User
    Friend got a wait-list notice last Friday. We haven't gotten ours yet but I haven't checked the mail in a day or two.

Thanks Penguinsix. We have just received our confirmation letter from SIS accepting our daughter for PY1 but now wondering whether we should accept it or to wait for another year to apply for ISF instead. Can anyone comment on these 2 schools? Thanks.

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    I think it warrants a school visit and an open day to get a feel for what ISF is - firstly it is NOT an international school ( it says so itself). There is a lot of emphasis in Chinese and the cultural aspects, and I think honestly if the parents are not well versed in chinese or have some sort of strong chinese background, it may be tough for the kid to get through. I notice that westerners are def not the majority there. you also start with 70% chinese /putonghua from foundation onwards and then transition into English later, which means it would be hard for you to trasfer out to another school because the bi-lingual cirriculum is so diff - so if you are in for ISF you had better be there for the long term......

whereas I think for SIS it is still an international school with a bit more emphasis on chinese ( compared to other int schools) but still quite diff in extent from ISF.

Thanks Konradsmom for your input. I have done a school tour of ISF and am impressed with the school's facilities but a major concern is the lack of track record for this school. I realise that they place great emphasis on chinese which is great but what kind of students do they produce? It's hard to tell if their methods of teaching is sufficient to set the students up for a passage to the top universities since it's a relatively new school. Also I heard that the turnover of teachers is very high at ISF. Are your kids in ISF? What is your feeling about the future of the school?

sansaneveritt is offline Registered User

PY1 interview at SIS

Hello,
    my child has PY1 interview this Friday. I'm told its less than 1/2 hour. Can anyone tell me what is involved in interview? Does this mean that there are vacancies because I thought that interviews were already finished and places filled. Thanks for your advice.

gljy22 is offline Registered User
    My son is currently in PY1 - good and well balance billingual curriculum - in English and Chinese. For the interview session - your kid will meet 1-2 teachers, they will ask questions, play some simple game, just to see if the kid is ready.