Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

just sharing a conversation over dinner

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    And the reason I remember this documentary is because my mum used to push me to give formula to my baby.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Very funny convo, laugh out loud, especially when hubby told you to shut up. Nice.
    What's funny is all their reasoning and logic. Why don't you take your son to the dentist and see what they have to say.
    When my MIL says ridiculous things, I can't say much in her language, and she doesn't understand mine. Maybe that's a good thing, I don't know...
    Formula till 6... Haha, classic stuff:)

taysty is offline Registered User
    This kind of conversation occurs frequently in my home too as my ILs stay with me. However, my hubby havent ask me to shut up yet. Being Chinese and also relative having another baby that is less than 3 months younger than mine, if those relative have those yum cha session with my ILs,then the dinner converstation will be kind of similar to solidstars.

It'll be somewhere like "how many ml of milk is our baby drinking, theirs is drinking 140ml", "so and so baby is taking puree at 4 months, our baby is more than 4 months already", "our baby is so thin compare to so and so baby, we should change to formula"

solidstars i feel for you really...

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Everyone in the family seems to have an opinion on this one. Oh, I think those formula commercials are RIDICULOUS. I was just laughing at one yesterday on the MTR. Even the names of the formulas like "PhD" are stupid. I mean, formula is formula--it's not going to send your child to Harvard (or even to the Chinese University of Hong Kong, for that matter). Formula has a lot of sweetener in it--no wonder why babies LOVE it and if kids are drinking it until they are 6-years-old of course they're going to get chubby--it's a lot of extra unnecessary calories. Totally reminds me of this (obviously from the Mainland) commercial where all these 5-year-olds dressed in tuxedos are being waited on at this luxurious dining hall by men with white gloves carrying silver platters and on the platters are actual BOTTLES of formula milk which the 5-year-olds then drink FROM THE BOTTLE! Excuse me while I roll on the ground laughing! If your child is 5-years-old and drinking from a bottle and you think that's normal then you deserve to fall for every marketing ploy out there.

Sorry to hear your husband is still being a "you-know-what." I find it absolutely hilarious how some of my in-laws bicker about stupid things when they get together for a meal. Everyone thinks they know the answer and usually their assumptions about life and reality are waaaay off (like believing that drinking from a bottle is actually better for children!). I just let them argue themselves into the ground and believe what they want to believe--they just seem ignorant to me.

Here are some of the more funny TV ads for formula:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cWp7...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiIHx...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVLl9...eature=related

solidstars is offline Registered User
    thanks everyone! I feel much better reading all your comments

and yes thanka2, I do remember the bottle served on a platter to boys in tuxedos ad!

I did take our son to the dentist, baby and I went to at least 8 actually (we only really saw and paid for one, the rest we just asked the nurses). The majority shared the opinion that it's because of drinking to sleep (milk in mouth, etc) and most said nothing can be done about it since it's baby teeth.

Two did say that something COULD be done, but he needed full body general anesthesia and both my husband and i are apprehensive about that...

mummymoo is offline Registered User
    Yes, its is hard to adapt to the culture here other than to resort to mental music I've found. Trying to explain things with a well reasoned argument and even scientific evidence to back it up gets you no where. The heads will nod or else you just gte talked over but you know your info is passing right from one ear to the other. Case in point, the locals eat this (not for me) ginger, pigs trotter number and one of my girlfriend who reads chinese and is a scientist discovered that the basis of this is that ginger thins your blood which was useful in the ye old days when because of blood loss, infections ect women would spend weeks to months in bed post childbirth and get blood clots....so at the time, food loaded with ginger was of some benefit but not so much now. By all means eat it if you like the taste but when my MIL insists that I HAVE to eat it for my health post birth......anyway, nothing changed after my explanation.
    So solidstars, probably the video, bellowing the expert opinions you have sought out from the mountain tops, reasoning the benefits if breast milk, is not going to make a shred of difference. Just do what I notice loads of people here, which is to say yes, yes, be totally agreeable, nod, make the speaker feel like they have hit it on the money and then just do what you believe in....a totally insane way to be/almost dishonest but probably will generate a lot less effort and angst on your half.

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    Here is a link to the program. It is in cantonese:
    http://video.online.hk/watch/22945

carang is offline Registered User
    i'm sure solidstars has done all of this... if you read her past posts, her husband is verbally and emotionally abusive towards her... it's not a simple matter of nodding and saying, 'yes dear, whatever you say dear.'

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast