Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Is placenta delivery with Syntometrine/Syntocinon a common practice in HK?

mariac is offline Registered User

Thanks ladies, for sharing your experiences. I'm going to modify my birth plan a little and suggest that some time be allowed to pass at least before giving me the injection. i think that's fair. but good to know that people who have taken it haven't had bad reactions to it.

laial is offline Registered User

Just a bit of info that might help with making a more informed decision - though your obstetrician should probably be giving you this info ....

The World Health Organisation recommends use of uterotonic (eg oxytocin) for active management in the third stage of labour - this has been associated with lower incidence of postpartum haemorrhage, less blood loss and reduced risk of blood transfusion.

http://apps.who.int/rhl/pregnancy_ch.../en/index.html

Some trials have also shown reduced incidence of retained placenta (management for this if utertonics fail is manual removal - ie hand up your vagina and in the uterus to remove it! i don't know bout you but i'd like to avoid this at all costs!).

This Emedicine article has quite a good run down of the evidence based pros/cons and explanations for active management in the third stage of labour.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/275304-overview

Active management also considers early vs late cord clamping , and there is controversy over this with more research required. The WHO states that delayed cord clamping (1-3mins) may be beneficial for the baby, but only in the appropriate setting with skilled health-care providers. (i once heard a story of a homebirth where the couple wanted delayed cord clamping - the mother delivered on the floor, and after the baby was born the father was standing up and holding it up - obviously with gravity all the blood went from the baby to the placenta and baby got quite sick! a bit of common sense might have helped!).

WHO on timing of cord clamping:
    http://apps.who.int/rhl/pregnancy_ch.../en/index.html

So obviously it's up to each individual what they want to do, but the general recommendations are to use oxytocin (i suppose there's a reason why it is considered "routine" in most institutions) and more research is required for timing of cord clamping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12