Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

baby reacted badly to Pura - dr's away, need advice!

1stimemum is offline Registered User

baby reacted badly to Pura - dr's away, need advice!

hi all, son is now 13mths+ and I started him on Pura/Fresh milk 1 wk ago giving him 2 oz/60 ml daily with no problem but i increased it to 4 oz on wed and immediately he had runny poos and 3 poos a day instead of 2.

this happened on wed and yesterday (thu) i stopped and went back to 100% formula and called my dr right away but she's away. the dr standing in basically said to stop which is what i've done anyway.

is this reaction to cow's fresh milk common (also i gave it to him cold from the fridge- just thought it might be a factor?)

have to wait to tue for doctor but in the meanwhile, really hope for some advice from experienced mums.

hkmom1 is offline Registered User
    when i first switched my son to pura he had the same thing, runny poos. the doctor said it was fine and can just continue but cut back a little. now he can drink big full cups of pura, cold from the fridge and has no issues. i think it's just an adjustment?

thanks hkmom1, i might put him back on 2 oz come monday (dont want to run the chance of anything happening over the weekend and knowing my dr is out of town)

did you try soyabean milk (esp the types found in a bottle at city super) i am considering a switch to that too since cow's milk seems to cause this reaction.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    I don't have any advice except to stop the fresh milk and ask the dr when she gets back. I do have a suggestion though if your dr is dr. Barbara lam (I ask cause she's our doctor and she has been away the past few days too) you can ask her to do an allergy test to see if your son is allergic to dairy. Runny poos after drinking fresh milk sounds like lactose intolerance.

sunrays is offline Registered User
    My daughter and I are lactose intolerant. She has been on soy milk since she was a year old. We use "Australia's Own Organic" soy milk as it has calcium. If you do switch check as not all soy milk has calcium.

futurehkmom, yes she is the one and the same!! But son has eaten cheese for the last 6 mths and loves it, can you still be lactose intolerant? I will ask her once she's back mon and try to get an appt within the week too.

i am actually keen to switch to soya but have not done any research /reading so not sure what to look for so all advice welcome! thanks sunrays.

BLWC is offline Registered User
    Hi 1stimemum, my son is 14 months and we just started cow's milk a while ago too. We had been giving him formula for a while so we just mixed the two and gradually reduced the amount of formula/increased fresh milk. We haven't had any problems and now he's not having any formula. Whenever he's had an upset tummy for whatever reason our GP has recommended soy based formula and we've used Enfamil O-Lac, works a treat for runny poos.

Good luck!

http://typhoonsandtantrums.blogspot.com