Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Pamela Youde

mavislohsp is offline Registered User
    Hi Ladies,

I am new to HK and I have booked a bed in Baptist Hospital which doesn't seems to be very friendly about breast-feeding. Seems like Pamela Youde is much better compared to many other private hospital in HK. Is Pamela Youde a public hospital? I am now at week 36. Do you think I still get a chance to registered to give birth there? Any recommendation on doctor and can someone give me an idea about the total expenses to give birth there?

Thanks in advance!!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    PY is a public hospital and yes, ALL of the public hospitals have MUCH better breastfeeding policies than about 95% of the private hospitals here... A lot of private hospitals, unless you have a private room, you are NOT allowed to have the baby rooming in, which is extremely bad for breastfeeding... I think that Carang answered your other q's in another thread.

mavislohsp is offline Registered User
    Thanks Nicolejoy!

Violet A is offline Registered User
    Hi, I thought I'd share my experience at the Pamela Youde - gave birth to a boy there last Thursday by an emergency C-section. I was induced and my husband got kicked out twice while I was in active labour (5 cms dilated with only gas for pain relief) - I thought this was horrible!!! The first time was to do a sensitive test on a baby as his heartrate was dropping and the second time was when the lady next to me was in active labour. I found hearing all the noises next door really strange - I of course tried to concentrate on my contractions but it was hard to ignore someone else right next to you also having a baby.
    Anyway, after what felt like an eternity for the doctors to draw a small blood sample out of our unborn baby, they came back and said that the machine's broken and that I need to do an emergency c-section.
    To cut the long story short, I hated the whole experience there (my first was natrual birth, born in Sydney); I wish I had waited and not induced at 39 weeks (doctor's recommendation as baby was around 3.7kgs at the time).
    Also - when I was first admitted to the hospital, I was sharing the public ward and the ladies there were not hygenic at all; most of the time, there were blood spots on the toilet floors, on the seats and the toilets not flushed at all with pools of blood in them... really put me off. After the c-section, I moved to the special ward, which was a lot better as I only had to share the toilet with 2 other ladies.
    Oh and lastly - I told the doctors there that I would like to walk around, move around when my contractions started but they basically told me that I couldn't do that because they wanted me to be strapped to the baby heartrate monitor the whole time and basically showed me a picture of a woman lying on the bed, pushing the baby out. I mean this is crazy! With my first, I was in the bath, walked around the ward, sat on the ball, tried lots of different positions which really helped pushing my daughter out in an hour or so.
    I am slowly getting over the shock of it all but I still wish I had either waited until the water broke (even though I might have had ended up having c-section anyway due to the size of the baby) or went back home to Sydney for it!!!
    Lastly, doctors ignored me most of the time when I had any questions - also, most of the time I was in labour, I was all alone as doctors/midwives were very busy.. I was crying as I was in so much pain and had nobody there with me, as I said above, my husband got kicked out twice; that was really tough.
    Good luck everyone!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Violet A, that is a total bummer about your experience at Pamela Youde. It is true that the more interventions that happen the less say you have over things sometimes. I know that the lady next to me already had her water broken so she had to lay down on the bed.

But, I also gave birth at Pamela Youde (and basically when they told me to lay down I told them where they could go. When they told my husband to leave (even at prenatal appointments they also told him to leave sometimes) he refused to go. We found that if you just tell them "no" and refuse to speak to them in Chinese they can't really do anything. You do have to consent to whatever they do to you.

But, I feel really bummed for you because you had a natural childbirth the first go-round so you know the benefits of it and that it is possible for you--and you had the right facilities and support. That's why I was so apprehensive when at my 39-week appointment they handed me a sheet explaining how they induce at 41 weeks here. I happened to go into labor naturally on my due date so I am glad I didn't even have to look at the induction thing. I gave birth to a baby who weighed 3.965 kilos and actually pushing her out wasn't as painful, long or as much work as pushing out her brother who was 3.63 kilos. It all had to do with position because I was actually standing when she came out--I felt her head with my hand and I thought to myself, "Wow, that thing is BIG--much bigger than her brother's!" I also have a friend who gave birth unassisted in Australia in January to a 12 pound baby without tearing! It was her second child and she was so relaxed because of no interference that she said it was a breeze compared with her first son who was around 9 pounds. Man, I just don't like how doctors think they can predict weight and how that is going to affect birth. Anyway, I'm sorry.

jordana is offline Banned
    Hi Ladies,
    I am 35weeks pregnant, registered in PY for delivery. I would like to ask you, is there anything I am not going to need to bring to hospital? like diapers for baby, shampoo, lotion, baby clothes, sanitary towels for myself..?? My first delivery was in my home country in Europe and pretty much stuff we got in hospital, I just do not want to bring too big bag if not needed. Also, do I need to have chosen a pediater before my baby is born?
    Many thanx in advance for your replies.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    You need EVERYTHING, including a towel for you to shower. They provide you with a bed and that's it. You need to take your own tissues as well. Although they do have some cheap, scratchy toilet paper ;)

charade is offline Registered User
    Jordana, I think they should have a list for you and yeah, you need to take a lot of stuff for public hospitals. Ask for the list at your next appointment. They do provide pajamas though and at least in the hospital I delivered, not PY, prefer you to wear those as they colour code them for mums who have not delivered and mums who have. They did provide baby clothes but diapers you have to provide. They bathe the baby so you don't need soap/lotion for baby but for yourself, yes.

Pediatrician, in the public system, they will have a pediatrician check your baby every day, whoever is on call. If there is a problem, they will arrange follow up treatment even when you are discharged. There are also a couple of regular visits to the MCH, where you can get vaccinations for free, breastfeeding advice, see a pediatrician etc. However, once you are discharged you can consult a private pediatrician too. You don't need to book one before you have your baby.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast